SAIC

www.saic.com
  www.saic.com
There are newer employer reviews for SAIC

Full of people who been thier for over 10+ Years that treat new employees like dirt

Former Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at SAIC

Pros

Benfits are OK
Pay is OK

Cons

Most people who work for the San Diego office have been there for thier entire careers. Very hard to break down this wall if you are are not part of this crowd. They single you out and treat you poorly if you are not. Do not recommend working in the SD office if you are new to the environment.

Treat employees better.

1156 Other Employee Reviews for SAIC (View Most Recent)

Typical Defense Contractor - poor pay, poor benefits, horrible hours, antipathy toward home life/family

Current Employee - Analyst in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

There were some really nice people there. Can count the number of them on one hand.
    Got to play with some nifty toys once in a while.
    Benefits include coverage for a "domestic partner".

Cons

Pay was average for the industry. Which is to say - if you are upper management, it suits your needs. If you are a techie or some other non-management type, it is entirely inadequate for the ridiculously expensive cost of living in Huntsville. And BTW, they are bilking the customer for far (undisclosed amount) more than what the employee earns for the services of said employee.
    Company expects you to put it before your own family. I work to live, not live to work.
    Ever since the company went public, it ceased to give a crap about its employees. It will lie to them (w.r.t. their job security), work them half to death with ever dwindling resources, and its work has in my humble opinion suffered due to management's greater emphasis on "appearance" of the products delivered to the customer, rather than performance.
    Example: if you can make your software "look like" it is performing a certain function without it actually performing said function correctly, and it fools the customer, then you have "done your job".
    Mass layoffs are now the new business model. With the ancillary benefit that the poor unfortunate employees are more than willing to sacrifice time with their families and let their home life suffer to work ridiculous hours under increasing stress, due to the fear of management's axe being aimed at their necks.
    Oh, yeah. I found while there that many coworkers are mean, vindictive, and have no problem not telling you at all that they have some inexplicable issue with you, and then going behind your back (with one person, it averaged once a month) trying to get you fired. I would like to say that particular issue was with one person - but I have found from experience it is epidemic within the company's culture.

I am your customer, now.
    My best advice is to know I'm aware of the stuff you pull, and will be checking accordingly.
    Be nice to your workers in front of me. If your management is creating a climate of fear and otherwise making your employees' lives miserable, I can see the results in the quality of work that they do.
    I can't tell you who to hire and fire in management, but I can pull funding.
    BTW, I don't think Havenstein is running SAIC anymore. But I thought the job he did was horrible. He even at one point (in one of his missives to employees) insisted that layoffs would be avoided. Then turned around and engaged in mass layoffs. There's a word for that - starts with an "L". So, I'm giving him a "1".

They made a payroll mistake and made me pay for it

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Columbia, MD

I worked at SAIC

Pros

Large company that has many job opportunities around the country. However, much of the work is driven by the government contracts based on the customer you are working for.

Cons

Right before Christmas I got a letter stating that I owe them close to a $1000 because they overpaid me in Comp. Leave. I always did my timesheet correctly so this was their payroll mistake. The money was due in 1 week or it increased. That is a limited amount of time to come up with a large sum of money like that.

Women - there is no maternity leave. Many other large government contracting companies have this. So if this is important to you, you may want to look at one of the other larger companies.

There are newer employer reviews for SAIC