There are newer employer reviews for SAIC

Great company to work for if you liked military life.

Former Employee - Senior Intelligence Analyst in Alexandria, VA
Former Employee - Senior Intelligence Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I worked at SAIC

Pros

SAIC provides work on contracts that are difficult to find anywhere else. The work is always interesting, meaningful and rewarding. Some of the best people in their respective fields work for the company and it is always a pleasure to work with these types of highly skilled people.

Cons

Senior Management is often grossly out of touch with employee morale as well as how to effectively manage employees and their interrelationships. Employees often have to fend for themselves and form cliques in order to survive and advance. Thus advancement is often a function of popularity vs. job performance. Employees are often treated as functional cogs in a machine instead of people.

Senior management is often hired out of the officer corp of the military and have little knowledge or understanding of the corporate world and of skills based jobs (vs. managerial jobs). Opportunities to move into the management ranks are most often limited to those employees who were prior officers even when other, more qualified candidates exist. This creates a "para-military" mindset in the company that is at best ignorant of the employees and at worst destructive and cancerous within the employee ranks.

Advice to Management

Think a little outside the box of the training provided the military officer corps and try to run a business instead.

reviews filtered by
  1. Give Credit When Due

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst V in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst V in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

If you are non-management, you are ignored.

Cons

No advancment for non-management personell

Advice to Management

Give credit to workers that do the work and not their managers that take the credit for the work

2. Decade Plus at SAIC

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Virginia (South Africa)
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Virginia (South Africa)

I worked at SAIC

Pros

Good vacation and 401 contributions. I treated them fairly; they did the same to me. Felt like I was working in a class organization.

Cons

Training sometimes got shortchanged due to budget constraints. OK if that happens one year, but 2-3 years in a row.

Advice to Management

Since I left, SAIC split into two companies with Leidos taking a large share of the work. Don't know if any advice is worthwhile at this stage.

There are newer employer reviews for SAIC