SAIC

www.saic.com
  www.saic.com
There are newer employer reviews for SAIC

Fun but not very challenging

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Harrisonburg, VA
Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Harrisonburg, VA

I have been working at SAIC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The salary is good and the benefits are excellent. The area that I live in is beautiful.

Cons

The work is not very challenging.

1161 Other Employee Reviews for SAIC (View Most Recent)

Rewarding, fulfilling and happy with my employment tenure with SAIC!

Current Employee - Site Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Site Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

1. The ability to work independently on meaningful projects.
    2. In my case, having a supportive manager.
    3. Work with smart team mates.
    4. Benefits are above average.
    5. Diversification of responsibilities.

Cons

1. SAIC is primarily a Federal Government contractor, as such projects come and go. This work environment can become temporary and uncertain. Job security is mixed. Yet, SAIC management does little to shift/forecast/plan employees from one project to another due to the many internal stovepipes and long standing structure of the company.
    2. After 10 years of employment, I've seen little to no internal promotions.
    3. Timesold (to Government) is king, this wares on you after a while.

1. Work with the "line" workers, much like the TV show Undercover Boss and see the real labors. Much to be gained from the experience.
    2. Provide incentives for working internally amongst each business unit. Breakdown the internal competition.
    3. Repair the internal IT systems. To many disjointed systems and app changes having helped little to improve efficiencies.
    4. Recognize Memorial Day. We are a DOD contractor!
    5. Senior leadership is stagnate and not changing with the times. Additionally, diversify the business to improve stock price value.

Nice salary and work life balance!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

Salary and bonuses are competitve for the position. Direct management (and 1 level up) are very proactive in work life balance. Telework 2 days/week for good staff. Stable environment due to strong government contracting. Opportunities for getting into other types of work are good if you'd like to get into proposals, management (project and program). IT strong.

Cons

Depending on your niche, promotions (if that's what you're after) are hard to come by. Senior management (3-6 levels) may not always know what you do and getting into interesting commercial work is essentially non-existant. Even though it's an IT company, satellite sites (under 250 people) don't get their own IT staff which can cause delays in fixing computer issues if you're not as saavy as others.

Be up front with why things aren't moving and/or why promotions aren't coming. Find a business development leader who knows commercial work and definitely adopt more a separate model for commerical business. Fitting government requiremens to a fast pasted environment will never work.

There are newer employer reviews for SAIC