There are newer employer reviews for SAIC

SAIC- An overview

Current Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA
Current Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

Currently a part of the Student Loan Repayment which is helping to reduce the burden of old student loan debt, they are helping me pay for graduate school, are really flexible with my schedule regarding classes, lots of potential for growth- i came on as a temp, and within 5 years have been promoted 3 times to a mid level employee

Cons

Large companies can sometimes make you feel like a number

pay attention to growing your juniors so you can retain them in the company, sometimes juniors get passed over for big raises and promotions and are treated like they can easily be replaced, but if you encourage growth it will pay off in the long run

1137 Other Employee Reviews for SAIC (View Most Recent)

SAIC a promising place to work.

Current Employee - Web Project Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Web Project Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

It is a large company with a diversified staff, and plenty of room for growth opportunity if a person works hard. The technology range is amazing, and the opportunity to advance into different technologies is good. The peole are great, within the departments a team spirit can be found. Though a large company, it has been amazingly friendly and easy to find your niche in.

Cons

The really need to put more money in the budge for staff education, realizing that staff that remain on the cutting edge of their technology are a valuable resource. Do more work with less, which is the prevailing theology in most companies today, leads to burnout.

Utilize the abilities of your staff better.

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Deputy Project Manager in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Deputy Project Manager in McLean, VA

I worked at SAIC

Pros

The culture of employee ownership and the entrepreneurial mindset that you are allowed to pursue. When I got my start I was pretty young (just out of school) but I was able to get promoted relatively quickly as I demonstrated my capabilities. There are not too many companies where you can find a 26 year old running a multi-million dollar program. The stock based compensation is good as well, but I still don't think it makes up for the lower salaries. The older people who have been there for 30 years don't complain because they have accumulated a lot of stock.

Cons

Compensation isn't what it is at other companies and nothing can drive you crazier than knowing your competition on a bid is another division within the company. Another downside is that its real easy to get lost in the Company, particularly if the work your doing is a niche and not scalable. Its understandable, but they probably lose out on some potential innovation because niche opportunities get swamped by all the systems work. Also, the annual re-organization can drive you absolutely nuts. Its great to have a flexible culture but when you are constantly jockeying for placement, it can get pretty frustrating.

You need to focus on grooming people as managers/leaders in the business areas, not just the technical.

There are newer employer reviews for SAIC