SAIC

A good temporary job

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in New Orleans, LA
Former Employee - Senior Engineer in New Orleans, LA

I worked at SAIC

Pros

Very good access to important jobs
Stable work environment
Access to technical information
Willingness by SAIC to support your customer
Less management hands on at remote sites

Cons

Unless you are at San Diego or the Washington DC area, your job is only as good as the contract your are currently on. If it goes away, so do you. SAIC advertises that they have a great many opportunities across the country, but in truth, these do not exist. The company advertises all jobs at all sites, but most are already filled or the site is looking for the cheapest candidate requiring no relocation.

If you are at one of the aforementioned sites, then you can move around in the company, if not don't look at SAIC as a permanent place to work.

The company also advertises itself as "Employee Owned", this is no longer true. They went public several years ago and now treat employees the same as all of the other large public corporations with little regard save profits.

Re-do your HR, it is appalling.
Re consider your employees as being your product and elicit their buy-in to the company.
Make an attempt to relocate and reallocate employees in the event of a project downturn or termination.

1215 Other Employee Reviews for SAIC (View Most Recent)

A pretty solid company.

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Reston, VA

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

A lot of opportunity. Washington, DC is a work-rich environment. When one contract ends, there is always another one or two to take it's place. Attrition rate is low compared to competitors. The management of the cash holdings during this recession has been stellar. I've been here for five years.

Cons

Somewhat of an old boy network but effort and skill will bring you recognition. I've experienced two different divisions......with one excellent experience (the last three years) and one "fair" experience (the first two years). The "fair" experience was really due to managers without management experience. I guess the downsides are what you might expect elsewhere.

Groom your future management from the ranks.....not from outside.

SAIC- An overview

Current Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

Currently a part of the Student Loan Repayment which is helping to reduce the burden of old student loan debt, they are helping me pay for graduate school, are really flexible with my schedule regarding classes, lots of potential for growth- i came on as a temp, and within 5 years have been promoted 3 times to a mid level employee

Cons

Large companies can sometimes make you feel like a number

pay attention to growing your juniors so you can retain them in the company, sometimes juniors get passed over for big raises and promotions and are treated like they can easily be replaced, but if you encourage growth it will pay off in the long run

There are newer employer reviews for SAIC