There are newer employer reviews for SAIC

Innovative and dedicated, that's what we are all about.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in McLean, VA

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

SAIC is an honest ethical employer. From what I have seen in the few years that I have been here, management "walks the talk". The people, atmosphere and accommodations are very nice which makes it a pleasant environment to work in. There is ample parking and the building maintenance is awesome. We have a nice cafeteria with lots of food choices. There are other amenities within the building or very close by (like dry cleaners, convenience stores, etc.).

SAIC provides outstanding technological and scientific solutions for a large diverse customer base and strives to remain responsive to their needs.

Cons

The traffic in the Tyson's Corner area is horrible which makes for a long commute for most people. The lunch venues in the area are also very pricey. Although our cafeteria is nice and has lots of food choices, it is also rather pricey.

Raise the salary levels, not just for your senior managers and star performers -- but for those average folks who do a good job but may not be in a position to "shine". Every year inflation affects all of us and companies like SAIC that make lots of money and give large bonuses to their top managers should also be able to provide at least a moderate "cost of living" increase to all their employees. Since SAIC went to their new rating system a few years ago, they have gotten rather cheap with the percentage of their increases. In this economy we are all blessed to have jobs, but please don't take advantage of your "back office" people. Remember, we process all the 'stuff' that goes along with those huge money making contracts that the company wins.

1137 Other Employee Reviews for SAIC (View Most Recent)

Good place to work.

Former Employee - Deputy Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Deputy Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at SAIC

Pros

Great company as long as you are willing to put in the work. They have a vibrant and very friendly atmosphere. If you prove yourself from the get go, upper management will help guide your career.

Cons

Can be long hours striving to create new business. Although there are some top echelons of government talent at SAIC, just because folks have a long government career doesn't make them suitable managers. Sometimes SAIC rewards sub par managers who they believe may have contacts on the backs of the folks who actually do the work. In many instance, these managers are simply highly paid talking heads who do not deliver.

Listen to your younger employees. They have really great perspectives.

A good temporary job

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in New Orleans, LA

I worked at SAIC

Pros

Very good access to important jobs
    Stable work environment
    Access to technical information
    Willingness by SAIC to support your customer
    Less management hands on at remote sites

Cons

Unless you are at San Diego or the Washington DC area, your job is only as good as the contract your are currently on. If it goes away, so do you. SAIC advertises that they have a great many opportunities across the country, but in truth, these do not exist. The company advertises all jobs at all sites, but most are already filled or the site is looking for the cheapest candidate requiring no relocation.

If you are at one of the aforementioned sites, then you can move around in the company, if not don't look at SAIC as a permanent place to work.

The company also advertises itself as "Employee Owned", this is no longer true. They went public several years ago and now treat employees the same as all of the other large public corporations with little regard save profits.

Re-do your HR, it is appalling.
    Re consider your employees as being your product and elicit their buy-in to the company.
    Make an attempt to relocate and reallocate employees in the event of a project downturn or termination.

There are newer employer reviews for SAIC