There are newer employer reviews for SAIC

Innovative and dedicated, that's what we are all about.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in McLean, VA

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

SAIC is an honest ethical employer. From what I have seen in the few years that I have been here, management "walks the talk". The people, atmosphere and accommodations are very nice which makes it a pleasant environment to work in. There is ample parking and the building maintenance is awesome. We have a nice cafeteria with lots of food choices. There are other amenities within the building or very close by (like dry cleaners, convenience stores, etc.). SAIC provides outstanding technological and scientific solutions for a large diverse customer base and strives to remain responsive to their needs.

Cons

The traffic in the Tyson's Corner area is horrible which makes for a long commute for most people. The lunch venues in the area are also very pricey. Although our cafeteria is nice and has lots of food choices, it is also rather pricey.

Advice to Management

Raise the salary levels, not just for your senior managers and star performers -- but for those average folks who do a good job but may not be in a position to "shine". Every year inflation affects all of us and companies like SAIC that make lots of money and give large bonuses to their top managers should also be able to provide at least a moderate "cost of living" increase to all their employees. Since SAIC went to their new rating system a few years ago, they have gotten rather cheap with the percentage of their increases. In this economy we are all blessed to have jobs, but please don't take advantage of your "back office" people. Remember, we process all the 'stuff' that goes along with those huge money making contracts that the company wins.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Your experience at SAIC will depend on your particular boss, not on what top management says.

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

There is potential to do useful and challenging work at SAIC. Your particular experience will depend on your particular boss and contract. Top management wants to do the right thing by improving conditions for employees. They initiated this with a couple employee surveys in the last year or two, with results sent to local managers to improve the working environment. I suspect that in some cases, the local managers used the results to improve the environment for the workers. In my own experience, it seemed like the local manager(s) read the results, then white-washed the deficiencies and used the positives to justify their own performance.

Cons

Tend to manage contract paperwork. The actual work is contracted out to subcontractors. If work is in short supply, some managers will check with other local divisions to get coverage. Others may not do anything outside their own group, which was my experience. There are huge opportunities at SAIC, but it your are not in Virginia, those may be far away from home. At times, there is competition between divisions that prevents open communication to win contracts. This competition can lead to discouragement to communicate to empoyees of another division. It is a large company with large company issues and characteristics.

Advice to Management

The top management is good, in regards to their desires to get line management to treat the employees well, and enable them to do their job. The line management, those who actually supervise people who do the work, tends to ignore the directions from top management. There is a disconnect between what top management wants, and what line management does. I would like to see top management give some serious training, direction, monitoring and feedback to line management to implement the changes that are suggested by the employee surveys.

They Showed Me The Door; Not The Way

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Huntsville, AL

I worked at SAIC

Pros

Allegedly, the reputation of the company.

Cons

Direct management not taking any interest in guiding new hires. Direct management allowing the customer to call all the shots. Direct management not informing an employee, at any point during the employee's first 6 months of hire that improvements could be made. Direct management not documenting performance issues or improvements. Direct management calling employee to an off-site meeting to dicuss a performance improvement plan, and instead, shutting the door and saying this is a termination, not a review. Never got a review, company policy for new employee never followed in my case. No direct reasons for termination given except "related performance issues". Being told you job is 'X' but then without warning, being mady to do 'Y', even though it is a task or set of tasks, someone with a much lower salary could perform and save tax payer money. To me, you do not pay a person 60K a year to make powerpoint slides. Each government task has an assigned cost, in my experience, but not here. Here, you are paid for a wage for an alleged job, then you do any jack of all trades task you are given, and you had better smile about it and not ask questions. Appreciate employees. My biggest mistake was leaving a job where I made 10K less a job per year, but where my portion of health insurance premium cost was 1/10th of what it was at SAIC; where I had perks left and right; where those in charged ensured each employee had the most ergonimcally environment in which to work; and where everything had a definited order, defined responsibility, and the company actually performed employee performance reviews. An environment that cultivates the delusional belief that perception is reality, and expects others to see the world that way too.

Advice to Management

Ensure all levels of management are accountable for understanding and employing Human Resource employee management policies and procedures. Enusring technical experts can also give direction to those in their charge, not just take direction from those they feel are above them.