Innovative and dedicated, that's what we are all about.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  McLean, VA
Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in McLean, VA

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

SAIC is an honest ethical employer. From what I have seen in the few years that I have been here, management "walks the talk". The people, atmosphere and accommodations are very nice which makes it a pleasant environment to work in. There is ample parking and the building maintenance is awesome. We have a nice cafeteria with lots of food choices. There are other amenities within the building or very close by (like dry cleaners, convenience stores, etc.).

SAIC provides outstanding technological and scientific solutions for a large diverse customer base and strives to remain responsive to their needs.

Cons

The traffic in the Tyson's Corner area is horrible which makes for a long commute for most people. The lunch venues in the area are also very pricey. Although our cafeteria is nice and has lots of food choices, it is also rather pricey.

Raise the salary levels, not just for your senior managers and star performers -- but for those average folks who do a good job but may not be in a position to "shine". Every year inflation affects all of us and companies like SAIC that make lots of money and give large bonuses to their top managers should also be able to provide at least a moderate "cost of living" increase to all their employees. Since SAIC went to their new rating system a few years ago, they have gotten rather cheap with the percentage of their increases. In this economy we are all blessed to have jobs, but please don't take advantage of your "back office" people. Remember, we process all the 'stuff' that goes along with those huge money making contracts that the company wins.

Other Reviews for SAIC

Large company, reasonable benefits, but whether or not you like working for SAIC depends on local/regional management.

Current Employee - Senior Communications Specialist  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Communications Specialist in Denver, CO

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

Reasonable (but not great) benefits; large enterprise means you may be able to find work in other locations if you need to move, and they'll try to find you another job if your contract ends; stock price and management stable, if not stellar. About 90% of their work comes from government contracts, and the large majority of that from DOD. They're serious about ethics, and have several ways to report issues.

Cons

Organization is stove-piped in divisions, and competition between them means one division will torpedo another if it gets the chance. Bonuses and pay raises politically driven. Regional and project managers can run their groups like fiefdoms, meaning your employment experience highly depends on the integrity and competence of the staff at that level -- if they're good, you'll like SAIC, and if they're bad, you'll mostly be unhappy. They're stingy with educational opportunities because the costs are considered an extra expense, and managers looking to reduce their expenses will cut training budgets first (or make the application requirements impossible to comply with).

Look beyond P&L statements to evaluate the success of a given region and division -- that level's management may be driving the best talent to leave, or badly impacting morale.

They Showed Me The Door; Not The Way

Former Employee - Technical Writer  in  Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Huntsville, AL

I worked at SAIC

Pros

Allegedly, the reputation of the company.

Cons

Direct management not taking any interest in guiding new hires. Direct management allowing the customer to call all the shots. Direct management not informing an employee, at any point during the employee's first 6 months of hire that improvements could be made. Direct management not documenting performance issues or improvements. Direct management calling employee to an off-site meeting to dicuss a performance improvement plan, and instead, shutting the door and saying this is a termination, not a review. Never got a review, company policy for new employee never followed in my case. No direct reasons for termination given except "related performance issues".

Being told you job is 'X' but then without warning, being mady to do 'Y', even though it is a task or set of tasks, someone with a much lower salary could perform and save tax payer money. To me, you do not pay a person 60K a year to make powerpoint slides. Each government task has an assigned cost, in my experience, but not here. Here, you are paid for a wage for an alleged job, then you do any jack of all trades task you are given, and you had better smile about it and not ask questions.

Appreciate employees. My biggest mistake was leaving a job where I made 10K less a job per year, but where my portion of health insurance premium cost was 1/10th of what it was at SAIC; where I had perks left and right; where those in charged ensured each employee had the most ergonimcally environment in which to work; and where everything had a definited order, defined responsibility, and the company actually performed employee performance reviews.

An environment that cultivates the delusional belief that perception is reality, and expects others to see the world that way too.

Ensure all levels of management are accountable for understanding and employing Human Resource employee management policies and procedures. Enusring technical experts can also give direction to those in their charge, not just take direction from those they feel are above them.

There are newer employer reviews for SAIC.

Worked for SAIC? Contribute to the Community!