Highly specialized contractor

Former Employee - Project Control Analyst
Former Employee - Project Control Analyst

I worked at SAIC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of diversity of the work; global opportunities; many subject matter experts; good salary, good benefits (before 2013 anyway).

Cons

Grew too big too fast. Now splitting, divesting, lots of layoffs in the restructuring. Upper management has lost sight of base customer expectations. Past ethics issue with a small yet highly visible group has resulted in overboard bureaucracy across the company making project execution difficult and more costly. Too many service centers that force direct personnel to do too much indirect work. Reputation with customers of being too expensive.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Be Careful of the Company you Keep

Former Employee - Scientist
    Former Employee - Scientist

I worked at SAIC (More than 5 years)

Pros

SAIC was my introduction to the professional work world, and for four and a half good years, I worked with very smart people on some very challenging projects. I gained a lot of experience, and they supported me financially in getting a license required for my career.

Cons

Last year, SAIC announced Project Gemini, which would split the IT services off from, well, basically everything else SAIC does. We were told it was to help SAIC remain competitive, but I have my suspicions that it was done to limit liability from a few well-publicized mistakes. Now, the company never really treated my division and office fairly (i.e.- no holiday parties since 2008 for our division, didn't invite us or even inform us of the existence of a company picnic, small contracts prohibition), but that's when things started to go downhill. I worked in a division slated for BlueCo. Support for proposals and new ventures dried up, and it became harder and harder to maintain billable hours. Our perks, from decent health insurance and performance raises down to tissues in the supply room, evaporated one by one. My project and line manager tried to help out as much as they could, and I still worked with some pretty great people. But when the upper management actively sabotages your side of the company, it's only a matter of time before you can't stand it anymore and leave or get kicked out. And if you get kicked out, well, between the crummy insurance, low job security, nonexistent raises, and a career ladder where you advance by dead mens' shoes... it's probably a blessing. If you're interviewing with SAIC, be sure you ask which company you're working for. I've never worked for any divisions in WhiteCo, so I can't speak to that. But if you learn that you're working for a division that will be in BlueCo, I would think very carefully about the offer, and the company you'll be keeping.

Advice to Management

If you're going to demand high ethical standards of your employees, you're going to have to behave more ethically toward them.

The work is interesting, but the distinctiveness is gone.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at SAIC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice selection of direct projects.

Cons

In recent years, focus has been to make this company like any other. Distinctiveness has been rooted out and removed.

Advice to Management

The company is now just like any other defense company. Select new top management who will stay for more than a couple years and can think longer term. The stock price will follow.