SAIC
www.saic.com Mc Lean, VA 5000+ Employees

Be Careful of the Company you Keep

Scientist (Former Employee)

I worked at SAIC for more than 5 years

ProsSAIC was my introduction to the professional work world, and for four and a half good years, I worked with very smart people on some very challenging projects. I gained a lot of experience, and they supported me financially in getting a license required for my career.

ConsLast year, SAIC announced Project Gemini, which would split the IT services off from, well, basically everything else SAIC does. We were told it was to help SAIC remain competitive, but I have my suspicions that it was done to limit liability from a few well-publicized mistakes. Now, the company never really treated my division and office fairly (i.e.- no holiday parties since 2008 for our division, didn't invite us or even inform us of the existence of a company picnic, small contracts prohibition), but that's when things started to go downhill. I worked in a division slated for BlueCo. Support for proposals and new ventures dried up, and it became harder and harder to maintain billable hours. Our perks, from decent health insurance and performance raises down to tissues in the supply room, evaporated one by one. My project and line manager tried to help out as much as they could, and I still worked with some pretty great people. But when the upper management actively sabotages your side of the company, it's only a matter of time before you can't stand it anymore and leave or get kicked out. And if you get kicked out, well, between the crummy insurance, low job security, nonexistent raises, and a career ladder where you advance by dead mens' shoes... it's probably a blessing.

If you're interviewing with SAIC, be sure you ask which company you're working for. I've never worked for any divisions in WhiteCo, so I can't speak to that. But if you learn that you're working for a division that will be in BlueCo, I would think very carefully about the offer, and the company you'll be keeping.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're going to demand high ethical standards of your employees, you're going to have to behave more ethically toward them.

Dazed and Confused

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
McLean, VA

I worked at SAIC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Great project management and technical depth Cons: 3 CEO's in 4 years, company split resulting in lack of management… Advice to Senior Management: Go see your customers No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

The work is interesting, but the distinctiveness is gone.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at SAIC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Nice selection of direct projects. Cons: In recent years, focus has been to make this company… Advice to Senior Management: The company is now just like any other defense company. Select new top management who will… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on SAIC.

Worked for SAIC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SAIC reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SAIC CEO Anthony Moraco. All reviews posted anonymously by SAIC employees.