Be Careful of the Company you Keep

Former Employee - Scientist
Former Employee - Scientist

I worked at SAIC (More than 5 years)

Pros

SAIC was my introduction to the professional work world, and for four and a half good years, I worked with very smart people on some very challenging projects. I gained a lot of experience, and they supported me financially in getting a license required for my career.

Cons

Last year, SAIC announced Project Gemini, which would split the IT services off from, well, basically everything else SAIC does. We were told it was to help SAIC remain competitive, but I have my suspicions that it was done to limit liability from a few well-publicized mistakes. Now, the company never really treated my division and office fairly (i.e.- no holiday parties since 2008 for our division, didn't invite us or even inform us of the existence of a company picnic, small contracts prohibition), but that's when things started to go downhill. I worked in a division slated for BlueCo. Support for proposals and new ventures dried up, and it became harder and harder to maintain billable hours. Our perks, from decent health insurance and performance raises down to tissues in the supply room, evaporated one by one. My project and line manager tried to help out as much as they could, and I still worked with some pretty great people. But when the upper management actively sabotages your side of the company, it's only a matter of time before you can't stand it anymore and leave or get kicked out. And if you get kicked out, well, between the crummy insurance, low job security, nonexistent raises, and a career ladder where you advance by dead mens' shoes... it's probably a blessing.

If you're interviewing with SAIC, be sure you ask which company you're working for. I've never worked for any divisions in WhiteCo, so I can't speak to that. But if you learn that you're working for a division that will be in BlueCo, I would think very carefully about the offer, and the company you'll be keeping.

Advice to Management

If you're going to demand high ethical standards of your employees, you're going to have to behave more ethically toward them.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

This used to be a good company :-(

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at SAIC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The employees. Good people working passionately to do excellent work. Terrific management.

Cons

The company has been going downhill since going public. And I'm just as guilty because I voted to go public. My greed (which did not pay off). That decision was my worst career decision. Now everything is about increasing the stockholders share value. How is this being done? First - the company is being split into 2 companies later this year (2013). The pretense is that we will no longer have a conflict of interest while bidding on projects. The reality is that wall street loves it when a company splits into 2. Also, and this is the reason that I am departing SAIC after almost 15 years...the medical benefits have been reduced to the point that it's no longer beneficial to my family. For example, if you have a family you have to pay not only your monthly premium (which is high by the way), you will also need to pay $3000 cash to hit the deductible. After the deductible is met you pay a percentage of most bills, whether in the plan or not. Copays are all gone. Prescriptions are the worst. If you don't use the company's recommendations on prescriptions you are out of luck. It's going to cost you big time bucks. Reduction in medical benefits for employees will definitely increase the share value. If you are young, healthy, and single with no family, this plan is pretty good because you will never need it. If you have a family, or are over 35, then this plan is going to cost you. So what is happening is a lot of the senior people (Senior Engineers for example) are leaving. This means lower salaries that the company will have to pay which will increase the stock price. So, the stock price will increase in the short term while further damaging the company (e.g., brain drain). But, the CEO (which are now rotating every 3 years) will most likely meet his goal for the company and (and this is public knowledge) will receive a total of about 10 million in cash, bonus and incentives. He will rotate out and the next one will rotate in to make their mark. Am I bitter? Yes. But more than that I am sad. Sad for the decline of a once terrific company. My advice - and this is so sad for me...find a better company to establish your career.

Advice to Management

I have none. Like I said above, all of the managers I've worked with over the years have been outstanding. I like them all.

The work is interesting, but the distinctiveness is gone.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at SAIC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice selection of direct projects.

Cons

In recent years, focus has been to make this company like any other. Distinctiveness has been rooted out and removed.

Advice to Management

The company is now just like any other defense company. Select new top management who will stay for more than a couple years and can think longer term. The stock price will follow.