There are newer employer reviews for SAIC

Good solid company overall.

Current Employee - GIS Specialist in Melbourne, FL
Current Employee - GIS Specialist in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at SAIC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good corporate structure and plenty of offices nationwide. SAIC always seems to get the big wins on contracts and should be even more competitive after the company splits in 2013. The management is always focused.

Cons

Can change projects without warning, so you need to be flexible. 2013 insurance isn't the best but is trying to be competitive thanks to Obamacare. Overall, not much to complain about. If you bring more to the table (degrees, certifications) you'll be better compensated.

reviews filtered by
  1. Field Monitor Team Leader on Hurricane Irene disaster relief effort in Virginia

Former Contractor - Field Monitor Team Leader in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Contractor - Field Monitor Team Leader in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at SAIC as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

-High pay for a college graduate student
    -More overtime hours than regular hours (7 day work week/15 hours a day
    -Generously reimbursed for use of personal vehicle
    -Loved the job and the people I worked for/with

Cons

-Lots of temp contracts but few permanent entry-level positions
    -Temp work will most likely not lead to permanent work
    -No real benefits other than employee stock purchasing plan
    -Prepare to spend a lot of time in traffic and long country highways

Advice to Management

While I understand that the company makes a lot of temporary hires to work on special projects as a strategy for cost efficiency the company should use these projects as an opportunity to observe potential candidates for permanent employment.

They should have stayed employee-owned

I worked at SAIC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Their benefits package was fantastic when I worked for the company (although I've heard their current options of health insurance plans are horrible). The physical work environment is fantastic - nice offices, stocked kitchens, in-house deli, exercise equipment and showers. Company-provided desktop/laptop computers are top-notch and are upgraded at least every 2 years.

Cons

I was extremely happy at SAIC for almost 15 years, but the company seems to be moving in the wrong direction today. Service Centers (HR, AR, AP, etc.) are replacing many positions within the line organizations and employees who have been with the company the longest are being laid off. I understand that service centers make good business sense in many ways, but SAIC is taking it too far. They used to care about their employees. Current employees laid off due to the new service centers are not being hired to work in the service centers. I assume that's because they can hire people with little or no experience off the street dirt cheap.