There are newer employer reviews for SAIC

When ethics training doesn't work . . .

Former Employee - DoD Support/Cryptology in Wahiawä, HI
Former Employee - DoD Support/Cryptology in Wahiawä, HI

I worked at SAIC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits - health, etc. Even include benefits for same-sex partners.

Cons

Everything else. As a DoD contractor, I worked on a Naval Base. Our office was inside an old storage room and vault. The main problem was our management was in San Diego, California and our job site was in Hawaii. There was next to no oversight. The immediate management not only condoned, but participated in unethical behavior. The most common was time card fraud - reporting time worked when they were not there. Especially taking excessive breaks, leaving early, etc.
The building was classified Secret, and our workspace was Top Secret. This requires a ban on any communication or recording devices. Boss & colleagues routinely brought in and used mobile phones, and even USB drives.
The resources (phone, computers) were often used for personal tasks, to the point of creating a loss of productivity.
We had quarterly corporate ethics training (web-based), and afterwards the (local) managers would tell us to essentially disregard the policies.
I was threatened with physical violence after I reported a colleague for ongoing unethical behavior. When I tried to escalate the situation through upper management, I was told *I* should consider finding a different job. Because I was "the only one with a problem with not following procedure."

I was intending to give my notice when the Dept of the Navy declined to renew our contract, especially in light of recent SAIC employee practices.

I can't speak to SAIC as an entire company, but any time there is not clear management you invite problems. I would be extremely hesitant to work for them again. The people I worked with were truly the least ethical & professional colleagues I ever had.

More oversight for you offsite jobs. Better support for "whistle blowers."

reviews filtered by
  1. Employee Unfriendly

Former Employee - Project Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in El Segundo, CA

I worked at SAIC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good people and interesting work

Cons

Not people friendly since going public. It's all about making money and not taking care of the employees!

Worry about employees and not just profits

2. Good Company for Entry Level Software Engineers

Former Employee - Software Design Engineer in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Software Design Engineer in Huntsville, AL

I worked at SAIC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits for starting out in the industry. Good co-workers and plenty of exciting and cutting edge projects have be awarded to this company. I've been to several of the semi annual work socials which helps build the company morale.

Cons

Health care coverage has gone down the toilet and with it, the morale. Business units seem to be detached almost like they are different companies. Upper management seems numb to employees needs. Turnover rate has since double since the high-deductible health care has gone into effect. In my 3 years of experience at this company, all of my 2-3% 15 month raises have since been nullified by 1. The high deductible health care and 2. The government's 2 percent income tax increase which went into effect in 2013.

Hear out your subordinates and reward them for their hard work. When your company is making great revenue a, your employees should get the recognition, raises and benefits they earn. In turn, you will see the company swell with people who want to stay rather than leave as they are doing now.

There are newer employer reviews for SAIC