There are newer employer reviews for SAIC

When ethics training doesn't work . . .

Former Employee - DoD Support/Cryptology in Wahiawä, HI
Former Employee - DoD Support/Cryptology in Wahiawä, HI

I worked at SAIC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits - health, etc. Even include benefits for same-sex partners.

Cons

Everything else. As a DoD contractor, I worked on a Naval Base. Our office was inside an old storage room and vault. The main problem was our management was in San Diego, California and our job site was in Hawaii. There was next to no oversight. The immediate management not only condoned, but participated in unethical behavior. The most common was time card fraud - reporting time worked when they were not there. Especially taking excessive breaks, leaving early, etc.
The building was classified Secret, and our workspace was Top Secret. This requires a ban on any communication or recording devices. Boss & colleagues routinely brought in and used mobile phones, and even USB drives.
The resources (phone, computers) were often used for personal tasks, to the point of creating a loss of productivity.
We had quarterly corporate ethics training (web-based), and afterwards the (local) managers would tell us to essentially disregard the policies.
I was threatened with physical violence after I reported a colleague for ongoing unethical behavior. When I tried to escalate the situation through upper management, I was told *I* should consider finding a different job. Because I was "the only one with a problem with not following procedure."

I was intending to give my notice when the Dept of the Navy declined to renew our contract, especially in light of recent SAIC employee practices.

I can't speak to SAIC as an entire company, but any time there is not clear management you invite problems. I would be extremely hesitant to work for them again. The people I worked with were truly the least ethical & professional colleagues I ever had.

Advice to Management

More oversight for you offsite jobs. Better support for "whistle blowers."

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Employee Unfriendly

Former Employee - Project Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in El Segundo, CA

I worked at SAIC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people and interesting work

Cons

Not people friendly since going public. It's all about making money and not taking care of the employees!

Advice to Management

Worry about employees and not just profits

Was Great, not now...

Current Employee - Senior Technical Officer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Officer in Washington, DC

I have been working at SAIC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Large company with lots of oppunities to move around, and has offices in just about every state and country in the world

Cons

Health care this last year. It was like taking a $10,000 pay cut

Advice to Management

Restore the health care plans you offer in previous years. Under the current system, employees are shouldering greater and greater costs and we are not seeing an increase in income to cover it. Since Jan 2012, I have over $5,000 in medical bills not covered by SAIC health plan.