Leadership style

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

Most managers are good people.

Cons

If one does get a bad manager, the leadership is unwilling to do what's necessary to correct the situation .

Advice to Management

It's important to be fair to the employees instead of just covering for the "managers" who may not be performing the tasks that are best for the team.

reviews filtered by
  1. I'm a mercenary.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

The contractor leadership is pretty good, if limited in authority to actually control anything. They recognize the value of people and work hard to improve job satisfaction. The pay and benefits are really pretty good -- competitive in the industry, if not much better. Most of my coworkers are bright and motivated, and the work is fundamentally interesting.

Note that a lot depends on which part of SAIC you're working for. SAIC is really a conglomeration of smaller companies. The organization that I work for was one such company, and as such retains a lot of it's original identity.

Work here is VERY stable, which is good if you like to do the same thing for a long time.

Cons

SAIC is ready and willing to do whatever it takes to make the government customer happy, even if that means making poor long-term decisions.

Senior SAIC leadership isn't interested in rewarding performance. I led a team of half-a-dozen developers to a successful finish that leadership said we probably couldn't attain. It was grueling, and we won, and our reward for a year of pain and suffering was a lunch at PF Chang's on the company's nickel. Ouch.

Work here is VERY stable, which means that growth potential is terrible.

Advice to Management

It isn't all about salary and benefits -- people have to feel like their voice matters, or they won't contribute.

2. It's a Good Company to Work For

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

The ability to work with smart people doing great things throughout the company. Upward mobility. Good locations, opportunity to work with critical customers.

Cons

Managing work-life balance. There are definite moments where its working many hours and there are stressful days. The many layers of management can get in the way when trying to make quick decisions.

Advice to Management

Provide better communication across the company. Show more diversity in its thought, people, and leaders throughout the organization. Encourage more interaction amongst the groups.