SAIC

www.saic.com
  www.saic.com
There are newer employer reviews for SAIC

A great company going though a lot of change, direction questionable.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

SAIC is a great company for self motivated professionals in their second or third job out of school. SAIC is not a good place for someone fresh out of school as you are expected to show up prepared to perform. We closely reflect our customers. that means you should have some prior service experience before joining SAIC. If you want the chance to set your own future based on your interests and willingness to perform, then SAIC is the place for you.

Cons

SAIC has difficulty making hard decisions. Because management typically comes from the customers we serve, government, they tend to suffer from similar decision making weaknesses found in government. Because we are a great company from a self starter entrepreneurial perspective, don't expect senior management to think about grand strategy and lay out a roadmap for mid and direct level managers to follow. It is up to you to figure it out.

Don't confuse lack of strategy or decision making skills with a lack of oversight (data calls) and a never ending list of new management self serve requirements. SAIC is trying to learn how to be big. We have grown fast and continue to struggle with how you lead in a larger company.

In summary, there is nothing inspiring in senior leadership (bugm and up).

Dirtied it where we are going and start mKing real decisions.

1163 Other Employee Reviews for SAIC (View Most Recent)

good company to work for

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

Good work/life balance (I'm sure this also depends on the project you're on)
    good communication from management
    excellent compensation
    seems like there is room to grow, depending on your location and skills
    they have a great military spouses program where they try really hard to place military spouses and find them new positions when the spouse is relocated
    my contract is ending and our managers are trying a lot harder than other team mates to find us other positions

Cons

medical benefits are a little pricey, but I think that is pretty normal in DoD contracting
    Your salary depends a lot on which program you're working for. Some pay high, some pay a little low. I applied for a position in a remote location, which would require about an extra 1.5 hr/day commute, but it was at a 15-20% cut in pay for basically the same job I am doing now.

don't know

A time to hone my professional skills and return to school for my degree.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

We have beautiful work locations in San Diego. My superiors on site are also amazingly flexible with schedules, and very compassionate when it comes to flexibility. We also have great affordable benefit options, as well as company matched 401k contributions. Typically, SAIC is a great company for upward professional growth.

Cons

Our supervisor structure at my site is not the greatest. We have people with a lot of responsibility reporting to people with less responsibility because the supervisor "tree" seems to be based on seniority, not ability. It is frustrating to see my amazingly capable coworkers be held down by supervisors that are less capable but have been here longer.

Because our site is specialized, there is little room for movement and professional growth - however, I have heard that movement within the company is fantastic. I love this company, it's ethics, and everything it stands for, I am only unhappy in my current position.

Restructure the supervisor chain based on capability, not seniority. Do not be afraid to promote the people that deserve it, or demote the people that equally deserve it.

There are newer employer reviews for SAIC