There are newer employer reviews for SAIC

Stable Job poor pay no growth for technical employees

Current Employee - Engineer in Huntsville, AL
Current Employee - Engineer in Huntsville, AL

Pros

It is a stable job but you will sacrifice salery for it. I have been working for SAIC for nearly 5 years now and have just made the cost of living increase nessary to stay where I was to begin with was in the 2% range on salery. This company is more focused on getting more out of there employees and paying them less that rentention. Example you are required to log any comp time you work but you will not see any overtime pay, they simply charge the gov. for your hours and pocket the money not very ethical if you ask me.

Cons

Very underpaid. I'm in the lower 2% of comparable experience.

Advice to Management

Compensate for experience and performance not who kisses the most butt.

Other Employee Reviews for SAIC

Great people, bad senior management

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Huntsville, AL

Pros

Most people know the #1 reason to work for SAIC are the stock options. For the longest time, those were wonderful and stable returns on investment. The annual bonuses are great and increased my salary by 10%+. The ability to move around in the company was pretty free for a government contract as long as you didn't pigeonhole yourself into one particular product

Cons

The management was fairly incompetent at recognizing good leadership and people who brown-nose. A number of horrible employees were promoted because they knew who to pander to. Senior management almost never talked to someone below middle management. This meant that the only regular employees that senior management got feedback from were the complainers who hurt company morale and productivity.

Advice to Management

More skip-level meetings should be made between senior management and the technical employees. Senior management should differentiate between product leaders that get work done and people that suck up to the project office. Keep the project office suckups around, but please don't give them control over the technical direction of the project.

Good company, but not for ambitious personalities

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Professional growth is encouraged. Can take specialized class tracks which can assist you in obtaining certifications (MCSE, for example). Benefit cost is very reasonable. Raises are decent, and company matches in 401K at 50%, up to 6%. Do not have to put it in their stocks too, which is nice. Occasionally will get bonus.

Cons

Well, let's see...it is easy to get stuck in a rut, career-wise, and there is absolutely NO favoritism obtained from applying for open positions. Hard to move up. Can be given more responsibilities in current position, but not a company for the ambitious. Management listens, and I have good relationships with them, but still wonder if they are putting on a "face" for me. Not treated like a number as much as at other contractors at which I have worked, but not exactly getting on the fast track either. I think senior management is stagnant and needs to be replaced. HR doesn't listen either. I question some of the acquisitions lately -- do they really complement our core competencies?

Advice to Management

Retire, before the couches in your office are replaced with caskets.