SAP Business Objects

Culture Destroyed

Former Employee - Technical Engineer in Orlando, FL
Former Employee - Technical Engineer in Orlando, FL

I worked at SAP Business Objects

Pros

Good place to start after graduation. Good company to put on your resume when you leave. Many companies recognize how hard Business Objects pushes their employees. Many employees have left and found new jobs with half the job duties and roles with more pay, recognition, and respect.

Cons

Weak career pathing. Management is out of touch with employees. No accountability for poor decision making. High attrition rate leaves the company with very little skilled employees. Employees are micro-managed with metrics without any context behind them.

The Ivory Tower style of management should be torn down. Stop and listen to front line employees for once.

41 Other Employee Reviews for SAP Business Objects (View Most Recent)

Once great employer ruined by process over people SAP leadership philosophy.

Former Employee - Field Consultant in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Field Consultant in San Jose, CA

I worked at SAP Business Objects

Pros

They have great benefits and hire a lot of smart people.

Cons

Since the SAP acquisition, the place has really gone down the drain. Business Objects was never a perfect place to work, but it was pretty good before SAP purchased the company. SAP is extremely secretive. Throughout the year, waves of lay-offs in various parts of the company were never addressed by senior leadership. You heard through word of mouth--usually by knowing someone in a group that had lay-offs. SAP replaced all of Business Objects customer facing systems and processes, then refused to accept any responsibility for declines in customer satisfaction and sales. I heard one senior manager address this in a group setting by saying "we let you run as a separate company for the rest of the year precisely so you couldn't blame us for this stuff". At the rate at which people are being laid off or leaving voluntarily, I would expect the Business Objects product quality to drop as its revenue increases in the next few years. Many people in leadership positions at SAP seem to view their customers as nearly a captive audience. The Business Objects product may lure in a few customers, but it mostly seems to be something else they can coerce existing customers into spending money on.

Business Objects success came because of its people. Our "enterprise lock-in" came about through creating a great product that customers didn't want to give up. They weren't locked in because they'd spent too much money to abandon ship. I once thought the SAP acquisition would be the end of an independent Business Intelligence sector. As I see former Business Objects (and Crystal) people fleeing for smaller B.I. and analytics software companies, I realize that's not the case. Poor personnel management has probably planted the seeds for a half dozen small,but innovative competitors to emerge.

SAP Business Objects - A great place to work.

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at SAP Business Objects

Pros

The software is very comprehensive and in demand. Our product group is highly innovative and creative. This makes selling the software much easier and it is easier to win against our competitors. With the purchase of Business Objects by SAP we have created a great synergy between Enterprise Applications and Enterprise Business Intelligence.

Our management team is very respectful of our time and circumstances individually. They are also very concerned with our talent development and the importance of good communication. My direct manager is not afraid to get his hands dirty to help out the team and he is very skilled with aspects of our product suite. Great talented folks must be drawn to great organizations because our team of professionals are all very skilled and good at what they do. We are able to draw on each others strengths.

Cons

I'm not really aware of anything.

I don't have any.