There are newer employer reviews for SAP

You'll Be Sorry

I worked at SAP

Pros

It looks good on your resume. If you are in a customer facing role, you will learn absolutely top notch demo and presentation techniques.

Cons

Way too many managers across the company trying to prove they can "add value" by mandating you take training and certification tests on areas that have nothing to do with your job.
Even if you have a written bonus plan, don't expect the company to honor it. If they think you've made enough money, they'll hold some back.
Very German culture - there is a process for everything and if you think you'll be able to get something done quickly, you're wrong. The environment is extremely controlled in terms of time recording and expense processes.
Very, very high pressure, high stress environment with a continuos focus on "flawless execution". Should you fail to execute flawlessly, expect to spend a lot of time with your manager discussing your deficiencies.
Complete management focus on appearances, not results.
Arrogance towards customers, and an attitude that it's completely ok to mislead a prospect about details as long as you "tell a good story".

Ditch the time recording for Solution Advisors and Principals. Everybody's faking the numbers anyway because you've been so explicit about how many hours a week need to be spent in front of customers, how many hours on education, how many hours on prospecting, how many hours on admin, how many hours on prep to sale....

1973 Other Employee Reviews for SAP (View Most Recent)

increase your speed to execute

Former Employee - Consulting Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Consulting Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at SAP

Pros

learning about business processes
    get the chance to consult large enterprises
    great training classes
    knowledgeable engineers
    great product

Cons

- sales and margin driven organization
    - political environment
    - A lot of endless meetings

you better spend more time in the field than in meetings
    increase your speed to execute
    stick to your decisions

Seems like a good deal....but it isn't.

Current Employee - Finance in Newtown Square, PA
    Current Employee - Finance in Newtown Square, PA

I have been working at SAP

Pros

The salary is pretty good for the position.

The benefits including the $4.00 per diem for lunch are great.

Depending on the department you work for you may have the opportunity to work from home.

Cons

Many of the departments are very territorial. You will frequently find that the most stressful part of your job will be dealing with other employees of SAP that do not understand that in the end you are all on the same team.

Explanations on how to perform every day tasks in the system are poorly documented and the instructions that come from Germany are rarely helpful because they do everything differently over there.

The sales team can be very arrogant and difficult to work with.

Many of the departments do NOT have flexible hours. There is a school of thought that believes the $4.00 per diem for lunch at the cafeteria is designed to get employees to stay in the building all day and eat lunch at your desk so that they essentially get an extra hour of work out of you. Expect to be there at least nine hours every day, there is no skipping lunch and leaving early.

Currently SAP America is in a hiring freeze and has been since late last year. There has been NO word on when the hiring freeze will be lifted.

Quarter End's for Finance are a nightmare. If you have a family and want to spend Christmas, New Years Eve, Or July 4th with them this is not the place for you. I am not exaggerating when I say I left the building on New Years Eve at 9:30 PM and there were several people that were still there.

I understand that the company is driven by sales, but I would advise your sales force to have some compassion and understanding for the teams that need to do the work after their contracts are signed. The reality is that once they get them signed and they are high fiving each other the work is just beginning for many other departments, they need to keep that in mind when they are getting things signed at 10 PM on the last day of the quarter.

The company needs to do somthing about the isolation of all of their departments. I have never worked for a company where so many people were completely in the dark about the job functions and responsibilities of other departments they interact with every day. Two words....Cross Training.

How about loosening up the Flexibile hours a bit? We are in the 21st century here guys, some of us have long commutes. The sooner we can get in, get our work done, and get home to our families the better off we will all be.

There are newer employer reviews for SAP