Best Culture Out There

Current Employee - Associate Analytical Consultant in Cary, NC
Current Employee - Associate Analytical Consultant in Cary, NC

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture. You get to work with extremely smart and interesting people every day and everyone smiles at you in the hallway. 35 hour work week. Great benefits, including gym, no deductable health insurance, dental insurance that pays 100%, free counseling, and a free 3% contribution to 401K. Everyone gets a (fairly large) office. The culture affords autonomy; I rarely see my boss unless we are having lunch and the director actually works in another building.

Cons

Supposedly they don't pay at the top of the market. This statement is somewhat hard to swallow however, since I am still trying to rectify how I am actually worth MORE than what they are currently paying me (given how many hours I work). Also, since everyone stays here forever, it takes a while to make your way up the corporate ladder.

Other Employee Reviews for SAS Institute

OK experience - no room to grow at least in Middleton Ma.

Current Employee - Consultant in Middleton, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Middleton, MA

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Better that average benefits. Salaries are ok.

Cons

People who have been at their jobs for 25 years and doing it the same way. Any suggestion of change is frowned upon. If the idea is not from Cary, it is not good enough. The customer does not seem to matter much. New ideas are stiffled or simply not offered as people are afraid of their jobs. SAS DOES LAYOFF!!! Just come to the Middleton office. Enough of this 35 hours work week. You are paid for 35 hours but you put in a lot more. That is the truth. Very buddy centric. If you are in HQ (Cary) you can coast and stay forever. If you are remote those rules do not apply.

Advice to Management

Infusion of new blood is needed at the senior management level. In a few years SAS will go the way of the dinosaur!

2. Ranked #1 on World's Best Multinational Workplaces List - November 2012!

Current Employee - Legal Division in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Legal Division in Cary, NC

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love the collaborative culture here at SAS; you don't see the backbiting and negativity found in other large companies. Not only my team, but the entire business unit, is supportive, both in work and the work/life balance. There is a common principle of helping one another to achieve common goals - that is in and of itself considered success. The services offered - full gym and pool, yoga and other exercise classes, playing fields and organized teams, large health care center and on-site pharmacy, on-site salon, massage, drycleaning pickup and delivery, car detailing, on-site child care, gourmet food options and several cafes to choose from, walking/running trails, classes and support groups, huge 'family fun day' events, flex time - these things are a brilliant way of alleviating the stress of everyday life and making employees feel like part of a family. Productivity is consequently high, employees are happier - everybody wins.

Cons

Because of the job satisfaction rate, people rarely leave, so there is a great deal of competition for jobs. The ability to move laterally is also somewhat challenging for this reason.