There are newer employer reviews for SAS Institute

Best place to work, ever

Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Cary, NC
Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Cary, NC

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Smart people; laid-back, academic atmosphere. Lots of great perks like a full gym, olympic pool, health and fitness programs, inexpensive great food in the cafeterias, m&m's (and lots of other free food) in the break rooms. Individual offices - cubes are only used for interns and in space emergencies (which are rare).

Cons

There is somewhat of an entitlement attitude among many employees which makes it frustrating if you're actually trying to get work done. There are a lot of political games at the division head level that are annoying to those in the trenches.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to manage out poor performers. I have seen many people hang on for years or even decades that we'd be better off without.

Other Employee Reviews for SAS Institute

Best Culture Out There

Current Employee - Associate Analytical Consultant in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Associate Analytical Consultant in Cary, NC

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture. You get to work with extremely smart and interesting people every day and everyone smiles at you in the hallway. 35 hour work week. Great benefits, including gym, no deductable health insurance, dental insurance that pays 100%, free counseling, and a free 3% contribution to 401K. Everyone gets a (fairly large) office. The culture affords autonomy; I rarely see my boss unless we are having lunch and the director actually works in another building.

Cons

Supposedly they don't pay at the top of the market. This statement is somewhat hard to swallow however, since I am still trying to rectify how I am actually worth MORE than what they are currently paying me (given how many hours I work). Also, since everyone stays here forever, it takes a while to make your way up the corporate ladder.

2. Ranked #1 on World's Best Multinational Workplaces List - November 2012!

Current Employee - Legal Division in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Legal Division in Cary, NC

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love the collaborative culture here at SAS; you don't see the backbiting and negativity found in other large companies. Not only my team, but the entire business unit, is supportive, both in work and the work/life balance. There is a common principle of helping one another to achieve common goals - that is in and of itself considered success. The services offered - full gym and pool, yoga and other exercise classes, playing fields and organized teams, large health care center and on-site pharmacy, on-site salon, massage, drycleaning pickup and delivery, car detailing, on-site child care, gourmet food options and several cafes to choose from, walking/running trails, classes and support groups, huge 'family fun day' events, flex time - these things are a brilliant way of alleviating the stress of everyday life and making employees feel like part of a family. Productivity is consequently high, employees are happier - everybody wins.

Cons

Because of the job satisfaction rate, people rarely leave, so there is a great deal of competition for jobs. The ability to move laterally is also somewhat challenging for this reason.