The possibilities are there.. But there's just too much confusion/ lack of communications

Current Employee - Assistant Operations Manager
Current Employee - Assistant Operations Manager

I have been working at SBM Site Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is definitely a potential with this company to move up. They're a middle size company that is expanding (if you're in the right part of the country).

Cons

There is a big disconnect between middle management and upper management. I've seen upper management come acting like the cavalry has arrived when there is a problem, and the solutions presented for middle management just cause more headaches. There seems to be a lack of understanding for upper management about the basics of what needs to get done at different accounts. I've also been in meetings where upper management will openly threaten everyone's jobs if a certain criteria has not been met. I'm all for getting rid of people who are not performing, but the constantly remind someone that their job is in jeopardy is not a proper motivation tool that should be used lightly.
Like I mentioned in the Pros section there is definite potential to move up in this company. The flip side of this is that it often depends where you are located in the country. There are a lot of sections of the country that are considered "dead zones". These areas are barely turning or not even turning a profit for SBM and if you work in these accounts then there's a good chance you're stuck there.
The company also seems to put a big emphasis on safety. Which should be a good thing. However, when you dip below the surface it doesn't really seem to add up. In the end if a front line employee says a job is too unsafe (which I agree many of these jobs are) middle management will be expected to pick up the slack and get it done anyway. I've personally seen and experienced this where I will tell my superiors that a job is just too dangerous for our employees because of lack of proper equipment, tools, or knowledge and all I would get is a "just get it done" response. This means that it would be just me and another manager trying to carry around an 800lb piece of equipment that has a serious potential to hurt either us or a passerby for example.

Try to understand what is actually being done at different accounts before you make a recommendation. Take safety seriously and don't just think of it as a nice bullet point on your website. In there end the health of your employees (both front line and management) should be the top priority, not just seeing a happy customer at the expense of your employee's safety.

Other Reviews for SBM Site Services

Horrible company - don't expect to feel rewarded or appreciated. "The pay check is your incentive to work hard!"

Current Employee - Site Manager
    Current Employee - Site Manager

I have been working at SBM Site Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

You have a job. You receive a pay check. Your fellow managers are friendly and supportive. Area Managers develop good relationships with middle managers.

Cons

Company wants to promote a "family" type working environment but operates in a cut throat manner. If you are of color and don't live in California, don't expect to move past Area Manager (kudos if you made it that far) and still receive support. There is no work life balance and they expect you to bleed the company.. Lastly, don't expect raises because there won't be any money in the budget!

Managers need incentives too, not just line level employees. When bidding a contract, use an accurate headcount and include it in a budget: don't underbid and expect your manager to work to death just to "fulfill" SOW. Realize that managers work hard too and (I understood Insite is a selling point for the company but recognize) that Insite doesn't reflect all of your site's performance.

not a good place to work

I worked at SBM Site Services

Pros

some level of autonomy. If you put in 12-14 hour days you can move up the ladder at a decent pace.

Cons

extremely long days. Upper management has no idea how to interact with lower level managers or employees. They talk a good game as far as vision, but have no clue how to execute.

Have you regional and divisional level managers actually engage with site manager positions. Many 'upper' level managers simply sit at home at write threatening emails while having no idea whats happening on site.

There are newer employer reviews for SBM Site Services.

Worked for SBM Site Services? Contribute to the Community!