SCO Family of Services

www.sco.org
  www.sco.org
There are newer employer reviews for SCO Family of Services

A great fit for my personality, values, and career goals

Current Employee - Communications Specialist in Brooklyn, NY
Current Employee - Communications Specialist in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at SCO Family of Services full-time

Pros

Across the board, anyone who works here will tell you that we do great work in the community and have a measurable positive impact on the lives of tens of thousands of NYers each year. It's easy to feel good about the contributions we make as members of this organization.

I also really appreciate the autonomy I have in my current position, and the receptiveness of my colleagues and even upper management to hearing my ideas and to trying new things. I really get to be a Jill of all trades, with numerous opportunities to develop my skills in a variety of areas, as well as regular opportunities to continue learning about the ins and outs of the human services field.

I see this as an exciting time to work at SCO, given the great improvements that have been made from an operations standpoint in recent years, and the positive trajectory the organization is on under the strong leadership of Executive Director Gail Nayowith and others. I truly believe that SCO's leadership is as dedicated to making SCO an even more effective nonprofit and a great place to work, as our font-line employees are dedicated to providing the best care possible to those we serve.

Cons

SCO has massive reach, which on the one hand is great, because it allows our programs to help so many across such a wide geography. On the other hand, it presents a challenge when it comes to business infrastructure and to efficient communication among all 5,000 employees. Again, this is an area in which SCO has made great strides in recent years, but it will need to continue to be an area of focus so that this progress can be built upon.

While nearly everyone I've met has been friendly and helpful, things can feel a bit silo'd off by program or office location. Having such a variety of programs and locations comes with obvious benefits (hello 20 minute commute!), but creating the kind of unified culture I've experienced in previous jobs with just one central office, is a much taller order for an organization with such a geographic spread.

Continue to work toward a more unified organization and cohesive culture, with more streamlined internal infrastructure and more open and efficient communications among all parts of the organization and its employees.

42 Other Employee Reviews for SCO Family of Services (View Most Recent)

No raise in 3 years..none in near future

I have been working at SCO Family of Services

Pros

Clients appreciate u but pay is horrible

Cons

Pay and cases too far and not paid to travel from case to case

Do not tell people when hired on there is a raise every year when there isnt

Low Salary & High expectations for an Agency this size !

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at SCO Family of Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule to suit both your professional and personal life. Good coworkers.

Cons

The salary by far is the lowest for an agency this size. There are NO cost of living increases, NO bonuses, NO across the board raises (6yrs and counting) or opportunities for advancement. You feel stagnant while you are there. They continue to say that there is no money but open up new programs and hire people. No money usually means a hiring freeze, that would show that the budget is strained. No tuition reimbursement unless you want to be a Caseworker. For which SCO pays their Caseworkers the lowest of all Foster Care agencies in NYC. Does not offer transit chek. Extremely High turnover rate.

If there is no money to offer permanent raises then at least give a holiday bonus check. Management does not feel the effects of the economy because they are paid well. But for the workers making 20,30 & 40k with families to feed, think about how no raises affects them. Also, the training Dept. needs to offer beneficial trainings such as CPR and maybe a defensive drivers course. It would help employees get a discount on their car insurance and teach those who drive agency vehicles better habits. A win for both!

There are newer employer reviews for SCO Family of Services