SCO Family of Services

www.sco.org
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for SCO Family of Services

A great fit for my personality, values, and career goals

Current Employee - Communications Specialist in Brooklyn, NY
Current Employee - Communications Specialist in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at SCO Family of Services full-time

Pros

Across the board, anyone who works here will tell you that we do great work in the community and have a measurable positive impact on the lives of tens of thousands of NYers each year. It's easy to feel good about the contributions we make as members of this organization.

I also really appreciate the autonomy I have in my current position, and the receptiveness of my colleagues and even upper management to hearing my ideas and to trying new things. I really get to be a Jill of all trades, with numerous opportunities to develop my skills in a variety of areas, as well as regular opportunities to continue learning about the ins and outs of the human services field.

I see this as an exciting time to work at SCO, given the great improvements that have been made from an operations standpoint in recent years, and the positive trajectory the organization is on under the strong leadership of Executive Director Gail Nayowith and others. I truly believe that SCO's leadership is as dedicated to making SCO an even more effective nonprofit and a great place to work, as our font-line employees are dedicated to providing the best care possible to those we serve.

Cons

SCO has massive reach, which on the one hand is great, because it allows our programs to help so many across such a wide geography. On the other hand, it presents a challenge when it comes to business infrastructure and to efficient communication among all 5,000 employees. Again, this is an area in which SCO has made great strides in recent years, but it will need to continue to be an area of focus so that this progress can be built upon.

While nearly everyone I've met has been friendly and helpful, things can feel a bit silo'd off by program or office location. Having such a variety of programs and locations comes with obvious benefits (hello 20 minute commute!), but creating the kind of unified culture I've experienced in previous jobs with just one central office, is a much taller order for an organization with such a geographic spread.

Continue to work toward a more unified organization and cohesive culture, with more streamlined internal infrastructure and more open and efficient communications among all parts of the organization and its employees.

45 Other Employee Reviews for SCO Family of Services (View Most Recent)

Not supportive and leak of appreciation

Current Employee - Case Worker in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Case Worker in New York, NY

I have been working at SCO Family of Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible working schedule which may work best for you and your family. Agency does provides training to employees

Cons

Management are clueless and passes off your work as theirs especially in emails. Lots of cover ups (main description from other agencies views SCO is good for cover ups), disrespect from management, no support to address concerns, very low pay even with experience and a degree. If you're not apart of their circle you will be treated differently and ignored. Spoken down too, creates more drama than focus on helping the consumers, only steps up when under fire from outside administration and when so put pressure on you for answers, Management only in position because of who they know not what they know. More meetings held with little to no outcome. Compared to other agencies with same job title and duties it's the LOWEST PAYING AGENCY. Seek others before applying. If management dislikes you they will find reasons to get rid of you. Management to busy having "personal relationships" with each other and little focus on consumers and families. SERIOUSLY high staff turnover and all with same concerns Management and lack of Communication. Best of luck

For your company to stay afloat and not place your fundings in jeopardy start cleaning house from top to bottom and not just the bottom. Your problems will remain as long as you keep allowing those program managers and supervisors to continue bringing your agency down and in questioning.

Zero Stars

Current Employee - Foster Care Caseworker in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Foster Care Caseworker in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at SCO Family of Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are very supportive and understanding.

Cons

I made a very big mistake taking this job. The case loads can be very demanding, especially if you have cases in different boroughs. Management does not give a single dam about the stress levels of their caseworkers, and flat out ignore legitimate concerns/complaints. The turnover rate is very high, but I have been told from the older workers that it recently got very unorganized and bad only this year. Do not work here. Work anywhere else. Stay far away from this place.

Hire some interns or part-timers to supervise visits and you would literally make every caseworker happy.

SCO Family of Services Response

Jul 29, 2014Communications

SCO Family of Services has prioritized making our organization a great place to work, and we appreciate your taking the time to discuss your concerns. We’re glad to hear that you've found your ... More

There are newer employer reviews for SCO Family of Services