There are newer employer reviews for SCO Family of Services

A great fit for my personality, values, and career goals

Current Employee - Communications Specialist in Brooklyn, NY
Current Employee - Communications Specialist in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at SCO Family of Services full-time

Pros

Across the board, anyone who works here will tell you that we do great work in the community and have a measurable positive impact on the lives of tens of thousands of NYers each year. It's easy to feel good about the contributions we make as members of this organization.

I also really appreciate the autonomy I have in my current position, and the receptiveness of my colleagues and even upper management to hearing my ideas and to trying new things. I really get to be a Jill of all trades, with numerous opportunities to develop my skills in a variety of areas, as well as regular opportunities to continue learning about the ins and outs of the human services field.

I see this as an exciting time to work at SCO, given the great improvements that have been made from an operations standpoint in recent years, and the positive trajectory the organization is on under the strong leadership of Executive Director Gail Nayowith and others. I truly believe that SCO's leadership is as dedicated to making SCO an even more effective nonprofit and a great place to work, as our font-line employees are dedicated to providing the best care possible to those we serve.

Cons

SCO has massive reach, which on the one hand is great, because it allows our programs to help so many across such a wide geography. On the other hand, it presents a challenge when it comes to business infrastructure and to efficient communication among all 5,000 employees. Again, this is an area in which SCO has made great strides in recent years, but it will need to continue to be an area of focus so that this progress can be built upon.

While nearly everyone I've met has been friendly and helpful, things can feel a bit silo'd off by program or office location. Having such a variety of programs and locations comes with obvious benefits (hello 20 minute commute!), but creating the kind of unified culture I've experienced in previous jobs with just one central office, is a much taller order for an organization with such a geographic spread.

Advice to Management

Continue to work toward a more unified organization and cohesive culture, with more streamlined internal infrastructure and more open and efficient communications among all parts of the organization and its employees.

reviews filtered by
  1. Case Worker

Former Employee - Case Worker in Brentwood, NY
    Former Employee - Case Worker in Brentwood, NY

I worked at SCO Family of Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Decent salary, benefits, feel good place, co workers

Cons

Driving, large caseload, reimbursement, client base, growth

2. No raise in 3 years..none in near future

I have been working at SCO Family of Services

Pros

Clients appreciate u but pay is horrible

Cons

Pay and cases too far and not paid to travel from case to case

Advice to Management

Do not tell people when hired on there is a raise every year when there isnt

There are newer employer reviews for SCO Family of Services