There are newer employer reviews for SDL

A successful company with interesting technologies.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at SDL

Pros

This is a very interesting area and the problems that need to be solved are challenging. The international market penetration is very broad, which gives global brand recognition to anyone involved in localization/translation. Having someone you just met tell you "oh, sure I know about Translation Memory, we use it in our company every day" is very satisfying.

Cons

SDL is not your typical software company, the main business focus is not on software, so for a software engineer, that can be a little disappointing.

Advice to Management

Since the company is very successful I say "keep up the good work", because whatever you are doing, it's working quite well!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Buyer beware

Current Employee - Software Tester in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Software Tester in Boulder, CO

I have been working at SDL

Pros

Lots of opportunity - the company is growing rapidly. There is a strong list of blue-chip clients who are deeply engaged with the company. Dual model of software dev and services makes this a strong organization that will likely weather any economic downturn. Multiple offices in many countries also opens up the possibility of overseas transfer, although this is really open only to more senior people. In general, the people who work for SDL are a talented, friendly bunch. Salaries and benefits are about normal for the industry, and entry-level folks will find that if they are preapred to work really hard, commit to long hours, then they will be promoted.

Cons

Senior management has no respect for their employees - long hours are expected of you, with little in the way of recognition or reward. Such is their level of contempt that it borders on abusive - and heaven help you if you are different from them as they will ridicule your differences, swear loudly in public at you, and treat you as though you are a lower form of life.
    Many employees find that they are placed in positions where they cannot win - projects are dumped on them without warning, and clients are lied to regularly. If you fail - which you likely will - you will be thrown under the bus without a second thought.

Advice to Management

Get a life - remember that employees have lives outside of SDL. Show some respect - not ev eryone who works for you is an idiot - or lazy.

2. Great start at SDL

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I have been working at SDL

Pros

SDL values her employees and makes sure they feel well once they start to work here. Also, the first impression is that SDL is, with some minor exceptions, a well organized company and professional company that has great technology to sell. It's also great to have so many international colleagues working in the same office.

Cons

SDL could have defined a clearer onboarding process for me once I started. Although there were a lot of meetings and trainings, things could have been done more efficiently.

Advice to Management

I personally like the fact that the management really seems to be involved with the business and checks frequently with the people in the field to hear what's going on. At previous jobs, the management seemed to be a lot more disconnected. Therefor I'd like to recommend that the management stays in close contact with people working in the field.