There are newer employer reviews for SEC

A lot of important work for not a lot of pay.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

You get to be part of a team that is going after some of the people that make or break economies.

Cons

They should be more upfront about a person's chances for growth and advancement within the company. After a few months, I felt I was just being used.

Advice to Management

The Student Observer Program is great and you guys are dedicated to making it a great learning experience for us. But a little more explanation about the fact that almost no one will get hired after graduation would have been good information.

Other Employee Reviews for SEC

1. I was lucky and had amazing supervisors.

Current Employee - Summer Honors College in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Summer Honors College in Washington, DC

Pros

The intern program was overall a really good experience. I learned a lot and enjoyed the other interns I would routinely work with.

Cons

There was no compensation unfortunately. There is a lot of stubbornness where everyone thinks they are right. There is a strict ladder of command.

Advice to Management

Increase the training for interns. Try to get more money from congress so there can be more incentive for other interns to work there.

Excellent

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Best training possible for accounting professionals bar none. There is tremendous on the job training and great formal training at least once per on emerging financial issues. The benefits package is the best, including 20 vacation days after 3 years of employment, generous 401K plan, health care, wellness center, child care, you name they pretty much have it.

Cons

Pay is good but less than in industry. It is difficult to fire poor performers. The meager bonus plan can be subjective.