SEIU

www.seiu.org
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for SEIU

You work 24/7 for a pittance & they treat their workers worst than the companies they are going after.

Former Employee - Organizer in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Organizer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at SEIU full-time

Pros

- You don't always have to dress formally.
- Casual workplace.
- A lot of idle time that can be used to socialize.
- Some of the union members are great people to meet.
- Some of the co-workers are wonderful people who really want to help change working conditions.

Cons

-Long unnecessary hours ...seriously you stay there for about 10 hours and probably only work for half-the time because a few of your hours are wasted doing nothing because everything is on a need to know basis...but then before you leave they find something for you to do and then make you stay the extra hours.
-They make you harass the union members like there is no tomorrow. If they have a campaign going on they will make you call them at least 20 times each, to the point where you're wondering if they can sue you for harassment.
-Management has a way of not caring for its own workers or compensating them fairly for their time and work - which is a shame because how can you trust a union to represent you if they can't even pay fair wages and give fair working hours to their own employees.
-SALARY - you make a certain amount a week on a salary, but there are weeks where you work 6 to 7 days a week for months at a time depending on what they have you working on. So the job is not very cost effective. If you think about the amount you get paid a week, minus taxes, minus the gas you use, the time you spend driving, the 20+ extra hours a week you are working and the low mileage reimbursement, then you are making close to minimum wage, plus not having set working hours. You pretty much work a full-time plus a part-time job, but make a pittance compared to actually working those two jobs elsewhere.
-You are hired on temporary positions, which it seems to me that they do that so you work 6-7 days a week 60+ hours for low pay, only to think that all of this hard work will pay off later with a permanent position and higher pay, when in reality you might be told 6 months in that they might not have a position for you later on, or find an excuse as to why you won't be placed into another project.
-If one of your supervisors has been there for years and they treat you poorly, regardless of who you complain to and them appearing to take what you say into consideration, nothing changes. They just want to give you the false impression that something is being done. Your supervisor will not be removed and they will more than likely not change their ways. The only option you have left is to quit and find a new job. It is a bit sad because lots of great workers that can further workers rights and SEIU's mission are lost for the sake of keeping one bad seed around.

Treat your workers with the same respect that you treat your members and best of all give them the same rights - fair pay and fair hours. There are many Organizers that had so much potential to do great things for SEIU, but it seems that the quality of workers is lost for the sake of a false ideal and poor working conditions. Seriously, this place makes a person question unions, because how can a union treat its employees so poorly still be able to be a champion for its members workers-rights.

85 Other Employee Reviews for SEIU (View Most Recent)

Organizer In Training

Former Contractor - Organizer In Training in Washington, DC
    Former Contractor - Organizer In Training in Washington, DC

I worked at SEIU as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Health benefits, benefits...that's it!

Cons

they treat their workers like scum. Work daily 12-14 hours a day for no apparent reason other than management feeling like the cause will be justified only if we are out on the field for that long. You are disposable to campaigns all across the country for one year only to be laid off in the end. This program is not to advance or train anyone. It's simply a reason for International to pay it's workers 32,000 a year for working 100 hours a week and able to fire them whenever they please. You are on one year probation so they can fire you whenever they want. Not to mention they NEVER follow your contract. You're suppose to get every other weekend off and most times you're called to go in anyway. If you speak up....You are FIRED!!!! Don't waste your time here. Heard AFSCME has a better OIT program. They are everything they fight against. Workers are treated like crap, management makes triple the salary organizers get paid and do absolutely nothing and the O.I.T. program is a their way of exploiting young college grads by paying them less and getting rid of them when they're done with their campaign.

while I was an O.I.T I met incredibly talented O.I.T's that would have been a valuable asset to the labor movement. When we have to sit in people's living rooms and explain to them the importance of workers right yet we get back to the office and are silenced, it becomes incredibly challenging for most of us and we end up losing the drive. Please just treat your workers right. It would have also been nice to actually learn how to union organize too. Not just go to protests and yell.

Too much office politics

Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at SEIU full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They paid a good salary and benefits were very good.

Cons

Office politics, upper management favors certain people, force employees they don't think fit in out of the organization, forced to work outside regular work hours with no additional pay.

There are newer employer reviews for SEIU