SEIU

There are newer employer reviews for SEIU

Unambitious need only apply

Former Employee - Field Researcher in Columbus, OH
Former Employee - Field Researcher in Columbus, OH

I worked at SEIU full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pros boil down to the terms of the job
1. Good pay
2. Short work week ( 7 hr days)
3. Great benefits

Cons

I worked in the Health Care Research Team as a Field Researcher on the Data Team. This branch analyzes state and federal claims data for quality and cost performance problems in hospital systems. Organizers use the findings for campaign fodder.

This is an incredibly slow job with little challenge and contrary to what you will hear in your interview, hard work is not rewarded. There is a stereotypical union culture where advancement is based on tenure not merit, and cronyism and laziness prevail.

Important details about the models used and the management style. There is only one model used: weighted averages are calculated and deviation scores compared. Inefficient and impractical especially for big data. Regarding management style, the supervisor is extremely unprofessional and immature, uses an unbelievable amount of profanity, and just doesn't do his job. Worse, your projects depend on how much your supervisor like you, which further stunts your professional growth if you aren't willing to stoop to that level. Needless to say, it's a very uncomfortable and intellectually ungratifying place to work.

What I'm thankful for is that I got experience using this data, because it's enabled me to get a great job in data analysis. If you live in Columbus and are more concerned about flexible work hours, pay and benefits, this works. If you are concerned about work content and experience, I would look elsewhere.

No hope.

77 Other Employee Reviews for SEIU (View Most Recent)

Great Compnay

Former Employee - Organizer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Organizer in Houston, TX

I worked at SEIU full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working for SEIU. Training provided and an opportunity to advance. Freedom to plan daily activities.

Cons

If you do not like to travel and live in a hotel then this is not the job for you. Must be very persuasive.

No advice to management except to continue to working on improvements .

Organizer In Training

Former Employee - Organizer In Training in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Organizer In Training in Washington, DC

I worked at SEIU as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Health benefits, benefits...that's it!

Cons

they treat their workers like scum. Work daily 12-14 hours a day for no apparent reason other than management feeling like the cause will be justified only if we are out on the field for that long. You are disposable to campaigns all across the country for one year only to be laid off in the end. This program is not to advance or train anyone. It's simply a reason for International to pay it's workers 32,000 a year for working 100 hours a week and able to fire them whenever they please. You are on one year probation so they can fire you whenever they want. Not to mention they NEVER follow your contract. You're suppose to get every other weekend off and most times you're called to go in anyway. If you speak up....You are FIRED!!!! Don't waste your time here. Heard AFSCME has a better OIT program. They are everything they fight against. Workers are treated like crap, management makes triple the salary organizers get paid and do absolutely nothing and the O.I.T. program is a their way of exploiting young college grads by paying them less and getting rid of them when they're done with their campaign.

while I was an O.I.T I met incredibly talented O.I.T's that would have been a valuable asset to the labor movement. When we have to sit in people's living rooms and explain to them the importance of workers right yet we get back to the office and are silenced, it becomes incredibly challenging for most of us and we end up losing the drive. Please just treat your workers right. It would have also been nice to actually learn how to union organize too. Not just go to protests and yell.

There are newer employer reviews for SEIU