SEIU

www.seiu.org
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for SEIU

Make life better for workers, but not necessarily for you.

Former Employee - Organizer in Oakland, CA
Former Employee - Organizer in Oakland, CA

I worked at SEIU full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fighting the boss, solidarity, organizing

Cons

No time for anything but work.

85 Other Employee Reviews for SEIU (View Most Recent)

Unambitious need only apply

Former Employee - Field Researcher in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Field Researcher in Columbus, OH

I worked at SEIU full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pros boil down to the terms of the job
    1. Good pay
    2. Short work week ( 7 hr days)
    3. Great benefits

Cons

I worked in the Health Care Research Team as a Field Researcher on the Data Team. This branch analyzes state and federal claims data for quality and cost performance problems in hospital systems. Organizers use the findings for campaign fodder.

This is an incredibly slow job with little challenge and contrary to what you will hear in your interview, hard work is not rewarded. There is a stereotypical union culture where advancement is based on tenure not merit, and cronyism and laziness prevail.

Important details about the models used and the management style. There is only one model used: weighted averages are calculated and deviation scores compared. Inefficient and impractical especially for big data. Regarding management style, the supervisor is extremely unprofessional and immature, uses an unbelievable amount of profanity, and just doesn't do his job. Worse, your projects depend on how much your supervisor like you, which further stunts your professional growth if you aren't willing to stoop to that level. Needless to say, it's a very uncomfortable and intellectually ungratifying place to work.

What I'm thankful for is that I got experience using this data, because it's enabled me to get a great job in data analysis. If you live in Columbus and are more concerned about flexible work hours, pay and benefits, this works. If you are concerned about work content and experience, I would look elsewhere.

No hope.

Great Compnay

Former Employee - Organizer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Organizer in Houston, TX

I worked at SEIU full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working for SEIU. Training provided and an opportunity to advance. Freedom to plan daily activities.

Cons

If you do not like to travel and live in a hotel then this is not the job for you. Must be very persuasive.

No advice to management except to continue to working on improvements .

There are newer employer reviews for SEIU