SERENA Software

www.serena.com
  www.serena.com
There are newer employer reviews for SERENA Software

Serena software - as cool a place to work as you could imagine.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Redwood City, CA
Current Employee - Senior Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at SERENA Software

Pros

Serena software has morphed from a staid old company using old fashion waterfall development techniques into a vibrant software development company committed to agile development. Management has also redirected our energies into cutting edge technologies like Web 2.0, Mashups and SaaS. It's a fun place to work where I feel like I'm making a difference.

Serena is committed to community giving. Every quarter we give a day of work to one aspect of the community or another. This has included a beach cleanup day, a day cleaning, painting and refurbishing a boy's and girl's club and a day working with disadvantaged youth.

Serena is a stable company with a reliable income stream from its existing product base. In today's economy this is very reassuring.

Management understands that this is a company of people and has demonstrated a committment to its employees.

Cons

Because we are private, the opportunities for most employees to participate in stock option plans are limited. On the other hand, who's making money on options nowadays?

Keep up the good work.

112 Other Employee Reviews for SERENA Software (View Most Recent)

Serena: Great for Trendy Web2.0/SaaS Types; Not So Hot for Everyone Else

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at SERENA Software

Pros

Forging into new markets with new technologies.

Cons

Serena's new management has created a culture-divide between the "new, hip Serena" which appear to be invited to stick around and enjoy the benefits of the new Company; and the "old, stodgy Serena" which are obviously being excluded and being enouraged out the door. Reminicent of when Steve Jobs treated the Mac team as demi-gods and the rest of Apple Computers as lepers.

The unrealized potential of the "New Serena" does not warrant the exclusionary treatment of the "old, yet proven, Serena." Provide avenues for those that helped build the Company who wish to make new contributions to transition to new roles in the new Company...don't close the door on them, there are numerous ways you could find to open new doors.

Serena Software - A Virtual Team for A Very Real World

Current Employee - Senior Principal in Kennedale, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Principal in Kennedale, TX

I have been working at SERENA Software

Pros

Most of us are based from our own homes where we either have a "home office" like I do or merely work from their between consulting engagements or sales calls. The company does many things to support that - including FACEBOOK time. The products are great so we can proudly walk into any of our hundreds of customers world-wide. Serena cares about the world too as it donates each persons time one day per quarter to a good cause.

Cons

You have to work staying connected just because we don't all share the same water cooler. Also software and consulting are an up and down business - you have to maintain your "cool" at times and sometimes you have to stop and take a breath. But its all good.

Good job. Think real. Plow ahead. Make money.

There are newer employer reviews for SERENA Software