There are newer employer reviews for SERENA Software

Serena is in a perpetual state of improvement - going from great to really great to even better!

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Boston, MA

I have been working at SERENA Software

Pros

1. Serena is in a perpetual state of improvement in terms of people, process and technologies. Just when you think something might need a little adjustment, Serena is already two steps ahead and attending to whatever might need a little fixing, enhancing, or looking into. While Serena has serious solutions for ALM, PPM and Business Mashups, the company doesn't take itself too seriously which makes it a fun place to work. Employees are encouraged to learn new things, share thoughts, ideas, participate in social networking. 2. SBM - Awesome! (Compelling information; Easy to understand; Easy to navigate; Informative Demos) 3. PPM - Awesome! (Compelling information; Easy to understand; Easy to navigate; Informative Demos)

Cons

1. We sell a broad spectrum of cross-platform solutions and it can be challenging to keep up-to-speed on the technical details of each product, the product market space and a variety of competitive solutions. Until recently, there was a lack of job-specific employee techical training and it has been assumed that each employee should train themselves. This is inefficient and results in a longer than necessary time to get new employees up-to-speed. 2. Field Sales Teams are not adequately incented (Commissioned) to sell SaaS solutions. Based on what I'm paid to sell on-premise vs. on-demand - I'll only mention SaaS as a last resort. This needs to be addressed if we want to encourage SaaS sales. 3. It's May and we just recieved our performance reviews for FY08 (Feb07-Jan08). Raises (whether we recieve one or not) will be discussed at an even later date. This should be completed sooner. 3. While embracing new PPM and SBM customers, I'm concerned that as a company we do not have an adequate communication strategy for and have not focused enough attention on our existing customer base (primarily PVCS, TeamTrack and ZMF) to better help them tranisition to newer and/or additional Serena solutions. It kind of embarrasses me because I represent Serena and I would never neglect my customers... yet we seem to be doing just that. 4. ALM - Our website looks and feels as complicated as our ALM solution offering.

Advice to Management

We're headed in the right direction. In the excitement and rush to new markets, let's not forget/neglect/fail to address what this means to our loyal customers. Please continue to help us all to prepare so that we can be the best team we can possibly be! Let's work on making ALM as exciting and compelling as SBM & PPM by enhancing the look and feel of both Dimensions and the ALM web site.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Nice place to work

I have been working at SERENA Software full-time

Pros

Small company, family feel, held together by people who genuinely enjoy and are committed to what they do. Mostly approachable senior management team and very supportive employee culture. Lots of flexibility and trust gives you the opportunity to be creative, have a good work/life balance and to feel like you can make a difference

Cons

There have been many changes over the years but this is the same in lots of companies. The enduring constants in Serena are the quality of its products and the phenomenal people who work here

Advice to Management

Keep with the strategy and keep investing in the products. Good to also see that we are promoting from within aswell as hiring.

2. Good place to work, great technology and career prospects

Current Employee - Development Lead
    Current Employee - Development Lead

I have been working at SERENA Software full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great small company feel, friendly and approachable management structure. The opportunity to make a real difference. Continued investment in the core product areas, working with modern technologies. If you work hard the prospects for career and progression are excellent, but you need to work for it.

Cons

Reduction in staffing over the last few years in certain areas. Most of the negative reviews seem to be from disgruntled ex-employees.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the products