SERENA Software

www.serena.com
  www.serena.com
There are newer employer reviews for SERENA Software

Once a great company with a reputation of being a leader in the market

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at SERENA Software full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great talent, good culture, good work-life balance. Still has the potential of being an exceptional competitor in the software industry with strong leadership.

Cons

Problematic leadership at the helm for too long, too sales-driven, too much turnover in sales, no growth for many years and no clear vision on product direction.

Listen to those closest to the customers, which aren't always the sales folk because sales often doesn't hang around long enough to develop relationships

112 Other Employee Reviews for SERENA Software (View Most Recent)

I loved it..

I worked at SERENA Software full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I worked there during the heyday. Those days from the IPO to the first in the series of layoffs. When I started, it was a small company. As it grew, it expanded and lost some of the initial charm but maintained a core. During the big acquisition phases, the company completely changed. Some acquisitions went well.. while others did not. Then started the revolving door in the executive suite. I left before the carnage got bad, just on the other of the great times.

Cons

It's been a while. I left due to a number of different reasons. I don't feel comfortable saying anything, as I left 4+ years ago.

Stop changing product names. A customer can't research anything if the product names change constantly. Set a vision, a goal and work toward it. Reward the loyal employees and get rid of those who are dead weight. But upper management has little clue as to who is good and who isn't. So do some research before laying people off. They laid off great people due to location and kept lackluster performers due to their location and spent more to support them.

Management and product vision issues

I worked at SERENA Software full-time

Pros

Alot of talented individuals, nice culture and good work-life balance.

Cons

Too much micromanaging. Product vision changes too often.

Empower and trust your employees . Allow them to contribute and share their ideas.

There are newer employer reviews for SERENA Software