SHI International

www.shi.com

A very special place to work. It doesn't get much better than this.

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

Pros

It is a very unique enviroment. It is the best of both worlds. You get to run you business how you see fit but you get all the support you would expect from a 2 billion + company.

Cons

Because you run your own business, you are married to it. We can take as much vaction as we would likd but I rarely do because I'm afraid that a customer may have an urgent need and I won't be there for them.

Love what you are doing!

Other reviews for SHI International

Good experience, but don't expect to make a career out of it.

Current Employee - Inside Sales  in  Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Piscataway, NJ

Pros

They do give decent benefits, and if you need something to put on your resume, it is good experience to list. Also, because of vendor visits and quarterly shows, there are opportunities to win gift certificates or small electronics, and there are plenty of giveaways. We never want for pens, sticky notes, and weird desk nicknacks. Any immediate managers or supervisors are approachable, and easy to talk to. They recently built a kiosk for breakfast and lunch. It's a bit expensive, but convenient, and the food is pretty good.

Cons

It is very difficult to move ahead, and if you do receive an offer, it may well be for less than your current job, when you take in commission. Things are changing there, and one SMB sales rep had said that it would have been unthinkable to have a promotion come with a cut in pay. HR is unwilling to negotiate. There is plenty of competition for other positions, as the morale among ISRs is low. Many of us feel as though we are expendable. Higher management is significantly less approachable than immediate managers, and they seem like they are out of touch with the general employees. While it is never stated, the inside sales employees are expected to finish their work, and leave either at their regular time, or when the work is finished-whichever is second. Some of us have worked 12- to 13-hour days.

Take a closer look at the way that your workers are feeling. The employees are feeling lost in the shuffle with the reorganization, and there may well be a mass exodus in the near future.

Okay place to cut your chops

Pros

Vibrant culture, people care about one another for the most part. Lots of vendor sponsorship and events which allow for networking opportunities.

Cons

-Middle & senior management is very green in most districts/regions
    -Metrics are prioritized over sales results
    -Not enough "selling time" due to manditory office days and other events/activities unrelated to actually selling product/solutions to customers.
    -Lots of "hand-holding" versus given the tools to succeed and being treated as an adult.
    -Unless you live in Austin or NJ, limited opportunity for career progression
    -Culture of 'working 24x7'. Not being responsive to email while on vacation is frowned upon which can lead to burnout.

Relize that sales results are the key driver towards profitibility. Too many 'flavor of the week' type campaigns which distract focus from key objectives of which the campaigns should be ancillary to.

There are newer employer reviews for SHI International.

Worked for SHI International? Contribute to the Community!