Fast Growing Company

I have been working at SHI International

Pros

fast growing company with solid value system

Cons

Work life balance can be difficult to achieve

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great if you're a longtime employee, not so much for new ones

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You'll certainly get a great overview of the IT industry, as well as the opportunity to make plenty of industry contacts. Learn what you can (which is a lot) and take that experience to your next job.

Cons

If you began working for SHI between 1996 and 2002, congratulations. You're part of the elite that was promoted to management and apparently can do no wrong. (To be fair, some of the managers meeting this criteria are very good at what they do, but others ... eek.) if you came afterwards, you're guaranteed to do a lot of the work and to get little thanks in terms of compensation or advancement. It's a very political environment - employees don't call it "SHI High" for nothing - and who you know is way more important than your quality of work.

Advice to Management

Stop running the company like its 1998. You say you're making all the right moves but look closely - middle management all works for their own agenda, and not cooperatively. And some managers need to start delegating more work to the people who actually report to them (who are pretty good at what they do!) rather than trying to do everything themselves so they get all the credit.

Cube Farm Work Horse

Current Employee - Inside Account Manager in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Inside Account Manager in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good job right out of college - dont expect much else
    Various vendor events
    Some managers are fantastic like mine. They care about you and want to help - but are shut down by higher management when they make suggestions to make things better

Cons

Its a cube farm. Sit at your desk, place orders, deal with crap from customers/vendors, dont talk to anyone. Yes you have vendor events, you get free stuff and food but its all perks for a crap job. Its work work work with no bonus. We dont get paid enough for what we do. It could be a blizzard outside - horrible conditions ex. Hurricane Sandy - and they still expect you to come in and take away PTO days if you do not. I am currently applying to other jobs to leave this place. They dont care about you. Youre just a number. High turn over.

Good for right out of school for "experience" then leave - I dont know how some people stay here this long

Advice to Management

Care more about your employees. A ping pong table will not make up for the fact that you take away our PTO for horrible weather conditions. We dont get paid enough to kill ourselves and come into work.