There are newer employer reviews for SHRM

SHRM Doesn't Meet Its Own Expectations

Current Employee - Non-people Manager
Current Employee - Non-people Manager

I have been working at SHRM

Pros

Overall, people are pleasant

Reasonable hours for most employees, mostly 9-5 (place is mostly empty after 5:30)

Helping HR professionals is is relatively interesting work

Cons

Everyone below the level of director is in a cubicle, and cubicles a cramped together in classed "cubicle farm" design, meaning that the work environment is always noisy and often with no window view.

Extremely limited opportunities for promotion, even for workers with excellent performance evals over many years.

Compensation and benefits are market/average for small/mid professional association. Few innovative work/life opportunities (off-site access to systems mostly denied, even for professionals whose work is dependent on these systems -- very retrograde.

Senior management team, led by a relatively new CEO, fixated on internal strategic process (heavily dependent on external consultants, to the exclusion of fixing practical and obvious operational flaws. Over $1 million spent on consultants during year with a pay freeze for employees (2009).

Try management by walking around (MBWA), rather than lecturing during mass assemblies on the virtues of the new five year plan.

34 Other Employee Reviews for SHRM (View Most Recent)

In the middle.

I worked at SHRM

Pros

The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) is a great place to learn a lot about a lot of different things. They have divisions ranging from customer service to events to publishing.

Cons

In some divisions or departments, there is virtually no worklife balance. It all starts at the top. At the time I worked there, the top person had no life.

Listen to your employees - all of them.

I would do it again.

I worked at SHRM as an intern

Pros

1. Interesting work assignments
    2. Intelligent, yet kind and thoughtful coworkers
    3. Work/Life balance
    4. Fair pay
    5. Very willing to help me get to the next step of my career

Cons

1. Poor inter-department communication means redundant and/or conflicting information is presented to the public. While many organizations struggle with the same issue, there is room for improvement here.
    2. While I enjoyed doing the work I was assigned, I was assigned work infrequently. Some but not all interns expressed similar feelings. Episodes of boredom earns SHRM a 4/5 instead of 5/5

Good job overall. Have a plan keep your interns occupied before you hire them. Thanks for the opportunity.

There are newer employer reviews for SHRM

Worked for SHRM? Contribute to the Community!