There are newer employer reviews for SLI Systems

Best technology company I've worked at!

Current Employee - Director of Sales  in  San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Director of Sales in San Jose, CA

I have been working at SLI Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- New Zealand founders & management creates a company culture not found in Silicon Valley or the states and thus provides a good work life balance
- Clients love us - as they come first!
- Unique ever-changing technology, high client touch approach

Cons

- Management hasn't been able to figure out how to propel the company to greatness
- Company structure has become siloed with too many VP's
- Communication is poor given the New Zealand/US time zones and email is the dominant communication vehicle
- Employees are typically underpaid

- Open up to employee feedback at lower levels and don't let one man dictate the direction of the business at the expense of the company and good people
- Try to foster more inter-departmental conversation

8 Other Employee Reviews for SLI Systems (View Most Recent)

A breath of fresh air!

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  Christchurch (New Zealand)
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Christchurch (New Zealand)

I have been working at SLI Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

I came to SLI Systems after working for a very large bricks and mortar corporate for the last 7 years - and haven't looked back once. I don't say this lightly because with a mortgage and young family it was a big decision for me to decide to leave the security of my last job behind, but after one morning at SLI I knew I had made the right decision.

There is a real sense of dynamism:
    * Innovation, initiative and self management are not just tolerated but encouraged.
    * The client base is always pushing us to do new and exciting things.
    * Our competitors look to us for ideas so they are always playing catch up
    * Management are always making the latest technology available e.g. Google Glass.

At the same time SLI also has the atmosphere of a small family business:
    * Staff are allowed to bring their pets into the office
    * Despite the recent growth everyone still finds time to sit down together for morning tea
    * The VP of Engineering is always buying some new gadget to install in the office

Cons

The only cons I can think I don't get to see many of my colleagues and clients on a daily basis because they are scattered all over the word from San Jose, to New York, Tokyo, London & Melbourne - but on the bright side they are great places to go and visit!

If I was to offer management any words of advice it would be this: "Don't Change!"

Once you go public there is the inevitable restrictions that come as a company increases in size, so my only advice would be don't let this stifle the innovative spirit that has contributed to your success to date.

Amazing Culture with Solid Leadership and Innovative Products

Current Employee - Director of Sales  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Sales in San Jose, CA

I have been working at SLI Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

SLI has a really strong culture that works very well around the globe starting with the New Zealand office. People truly care and support each other professionally and personally. Transparency and trust are high throughout the teams, leadership and globally across offices. The company is also very focused on feedback from customers and look to them to help improve the products and service.

Cons

Lots of opportunities and not enough people to scale faster, however, the HR and leadership teams are very deliberate with hiring to make sure the culture and position are a fit. It's nice that a team will wait to find the right person than just drop a worker in a seat.

Continue to focus on growth but maintain the culture. It's what sets us apart and why I look forward to 5 years and more down the road.

There are newer employer reviews for SLI Systems

Worked for SLI Systems? Contribute to the Community!