SMART Technologies

www.smarttech.com

Challenging transitional time for the company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

I really think that the best thing about SMART was the people. Lots of talent and managers served as great mentors. Some of the people that are still there to this day are absolute rock stars in what they could accomplish. Strong IT support, and SMART Boards in every meeting room was wonderful.

Cons

There was a lot of challenge making progress as the company was constantly shifting to try to turn the stock price around. It made it nearly impossible to actually make any progress. I was an intern at the time and had 5 different managers and belonged to 3 department name changes during the 1.5 years I was there. I like many was let go in one of the waves of layoffs, but was not at all surprised at the time. They were very pleasant about the layoff, though I know it caused havok on moral, which I certainly hope has cleared up now. It'll be an upward battle for this company to break past the challenges over the next couple years, so if you're gonna work there you better enjoy facing challenges.

Stick with objectives for long enough for it to actually permeate the company now that stock is going up, rather than jumping at each new idea.