There are newer employer reviews for SMC Corporation

Toxic environment - avoid like the plague

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA

I worked at SMC Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Quality products, from Japan. Products have good brand recognition. Average benefits. Great place for a sales trainee to learn sales 10A and then get a real sales job.

Cons

Upper management is completely unqualified for their roles and responsibilities (look them up on LinkedIn). They are all related somehow (even thought there is a strict anti nepotism policy). Upper management has demoralized and demotivated the company with draconian measures: 1. lack of direction; 2. zero leadership abillities; 3. GPS tracking of the sales force; 4. National sales manager is a "yes man" to production and has no voice, direction, or leadership qualities; 5. Operations is run by Caligula's horse; 6. salaries are below industry average; 7. bonuses are a complete mystery, paid once per year now; 8. unachievable sales plans and bonus goal objectives.

Fire yourselves.

51 Other Employee Reviews for SMC Corporation (View Most Recent)

Couldn't wait to leave

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Noblesville, IN
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Noblesville, IN

I worked at SMC Corporation

Pros

Great benefits package, but that's because it's such a large company they can spread the risk out between everyone.

Cons

Thankful that they hired me when I was laid off from another company while pregnant, but they used this as leverage to low-ball my salary. I told them I needed 60k, and they gave me 40k but I needed a job so I took it. I was disrespected on a daily basis by a female coworker there everyday because she had a chip on her shoulder about my Bachelor's degree (she was not degreed and apparently felt threatened by my being there). I wasn't allowed to ask questions, and when I did I was treated like an idiot for asking. There isn't a "training" program there, and I didn't even have a computer to do my job for almost 2 1/2 months!

Need to change their policies.

I left the first moment that I could

Former Employee - Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at SMC Corporation

Pros

There are still some really good people who are stuck in the company. A good stepping stone to learn to be a good salesperson in what used to be a very very good sales department.

Cons

Management gets to become management solely because (a) they have been with the company for a long time and would just do what was told (b) they are willing to lie for the company, or (c) they are Japanese.
    I'm not kidding, Engineering Manager with no engineering degree. Every department will have at least a Japanese manager (no matter how inexperience he is). Every engineering decision has to go through headquarter in Japan.
    Management and human resource is very creative in how to treat employees. Be it changing the office hour from 5am to 2pm (to save electricity eventhough AC is still at full blast after 2pm), or giving you a little bit of bonus when they feel like it (and keeping your base salary lower than a new grad).

Maybe you can run your company like a sweat shop in Japan, but this is not the culture here. 95% of the good people have left the company, please treat the remaining 5% of good people (who are too afraid to change of scenario) better. Or else, there is no way but down for SMC in the US.

There are newer employer reviews for SMC Corporation