SMGI

There are newer employer reviews for SMGI

Great place to work, Great people, Great opportunity to advance! - Pittsburgh

Current Employee - Lead Account Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA
Current Employee - Lead Account Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at SMGI full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work independently during the day w/o having to be micro managed! Great hours!! They don't start until 12 and you're done early enough in the evening to have a life!!! This has been the perfect balance transitioning into a career right after school!! They offer personal financing seminars and training on how to budget after school. This has been extremely helpful as a recent college grad!! They people here are amazing!! Everyone is positive and upbeat which makes it easy to WANT to come in every day!!

Cons

Some people say there is no "work life balance". Well I say get better with your time!! You have every morning to get things done during normal business hours and you're off at night to do whatever you want!!

Thanks for now offering benefits!

SMGI Response

Jul 7, 2014

We're glad to hear you're enjoying your time at SMGI on our Pittsburgh team. Thanks for the feedback!

34 Other Employee Reviews for SMGI (View Most Recent)

Great experience, difficult work.

Former Employee - Entry Level/Corporate Trainer
    Former Employee - Entry Level/Corporate Trainer

I worked at SMGI full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Great experience
    -People we work with in the office (trust me when I say you'll love them...well I loved them until a huge chunk of fab people left the office for various reasons)
    -No cap on what you earn
    -Really cool managers like Tim, Jay...etc

Cons

-no base pay
    -100% commission. Some people earned the $1000 a week but most didnt. There are 2 campaigns, DE (energy) and Verizon. Making someone change their energy provider, something they barely give thought to, is SO much easier than making someone change their TV provider.
    All you have to do with DE is make them sign some stuff, they get changed over (there is a process of course, including the TPV call) and there isn't a fee to cancel.
    VERIZON on the other hand...there is a $250 fee to cancel (customers freak out when you tell them this), you get credit fails and can't sign people up, people are loyal to comcast or think it's a hassle or have OLD notions about verizon, or don't like verizon. Overall it's a pain in the butt and those who are on the DE campaign get promoted faster and make a consistent amount of money. Those on verizon have a harder time
    -Physically incredibly tiring (esp if you don't have a car)
    -Emotionally tiring (awesome people in the office and evil people in the field (potential customers)
    -Must pay for gas, food if you eat outside because it's too heavy to carry lunch, people get annoyed when you ask for rides, expensive traveling by train, if you give people rides, you cut down on time in the field and it translates to losing money
    -If you don't make a sale, you make NO money
    They tell you you can build a team but it's honestly super hard and there are no spaces for excuses

Have people go from DE to verizon (getting to verizon is the promotion).
    No more door to door and do a different type of marketing instead.

Youthful Company!

I have been working at SMGI

Pros

Although a younger company, very ambitious and has a grow-able business model. I like how all of the management started off at the entry level and the strictly internal promotion structure. A great place to learn a lot about growing a biz.

Cons

I would like more opportunities to travel outside of the Northeast.

get better markers for the white boards! ha ha

SMGI Response

Jun 16, 2014

Thanks for the feedback! I've just ordered top of the line markers for every office! You deserve the best.

Also, we have a couple trips to Vegas planned this year. Ask your manager how you can
    ... More

There are newer employer reviews for SMGI

Worked for SMGI? Contribute to the Community!