SMS Management & Technology

www.smsmt.com
  www.smsmt.com
There are newer employer reviews for SMS Management & Technology

Great People, Good training, OK Salary

Current Employee - Consultant in Melbourne (Australia)
Current Employee - Consultant in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at SMS Management & Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great networking experiences, good opportunities to work in various areas, good support for training and certifications, great people to work with.

Cons

Strategic challenges moving out of resource augmentation mindset. Salaries are not particularly competitive, the bonus structure is unattainable so don't bank on it.

The perception within the organization and the perception in the market unfortunately are at odds with where we want to go strategically.

46 Other Employee Reviews for SMS Management & Technology (View Most Recent)

Former consultant

Former Employee - Consultant in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at SMS Management & Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good exposure to banking and major telcos in Australia

Cons

The main reason for joining SMS was to avoid risk of being an independent contractor, however given the shift in the market and new policies anyone who is on the bench will quickly be fired

‘Strategy’: A lot of chat about how it is a strategy firm not a bodyshop, but not a reality for a 95% of consultants. Clients perception is as a more expensive way of recruiting contractors, not a go to for fixed price pieces of work, and as such are squeezing rates. Account managers are so desperate for sales that they will lower prices / offer consultants for free for a number of weeks.
    Pay: Don’t expect payrises to keep up with CPI, and bonuses, if they are offered, are a joke
    HR: Consistent lack of communication / understanding between management and HR policies (extended leave etc). This lead to major issues for me and resulted in threats to bring the company to the ombudsman to get appropriate notice paid.
    Training and development: Some in-house training is available, however quality is questionable, will also make you come in on a Saturday, or refuse to allow you to attend if you are on an engagement.

Recognise what you are good at - body shopping - and stand by that.

Eliminate the flat structure if you have not already done so, its a nonsense with range of experience from grad to program directors.

Lots of bad and a little bit of good

Former Employee - Consultant in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at SMS Management & Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some crazy talented people (hit or miss), some really interesting projects (hit or miss). Great networking opportunities, colleagues were very accommodating and always willing to sit down for a coffee and a bit of a chat no matter what the subject. Some aspects of the culture were really great and I enjoyed them immensly. I also enjoyed mentoring the grads coming in, and most of the events (that Senior Management didn't organize) were stellar.

Cons

The senior management has the company on cruise control - every year for the yearly results and the goals for next year are always "Make more money, get more clients". There is absolutely no innovation happening here - it is just a body shop. If I had to use a single word to describe the senior management and the company outlook I would use "Stagnating".

I have another bone to pick and that is salary. According to the internal salary graph I was being paid the same as a graduate student and I have 10 years of experience. This is the graph that HR compiled.

The company recruits heavily in the UK. They then use this advantage of sponsorship and the ignorance of the Brits to under-pay them. I know 3 Brits with a very similar level of experience (one of them the same skill set, other two different but higher paid skill-set) are getting paid 30-40k less than I was at the time. This is disgraceful and shameful. The HR department is a joke.

Senior management and HR are known to be vindictive when anyone says anything bad about them. I suffered through this. My 3 Brit mates suffered through it. Some of the grads I mentored suffered through this.

Fix the above. Stop underpaying expats. Bring salaries in line with the rest of the market or provide actual proof that the salaries are market competitive (stop using the "data is sensitive" excuse to hide this from SMS-ers). Come up with an actual plan to move the company forward and don't just cruise.

There are newer employer reviews for SMS Management & Technology