There are newer employer reviews for SMS

Feels like home to me!

Current Employee - Company Assistant Director  in  Buffalo Grove, IL
Current Employee - Company Assistant Director in Buffalo Grove, IL

I have been working at SMS full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have worked here 15 years and this has become my second home. The senior management are an amazing team of brilliant minds that always put the employee first. I have worked in multiple departments and in multiple positions and I have always felt supported and challenged to do and learn more!

Cons

I have no negative things to say, I LOVE working here.

Keep motivating your employees to push themselves professionally.

45 Other Employee Reviews for SMS (View Most Recent)

Ask yourself: Why does this company operate under different names?

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Columbia, SC

I worked at SMS full-time for less than a year

Pros

The income (when paid) is excellent.

Cons

Six weeks before you get paid, and you will NOT be paid for any sales you make when you leave

If you operate under different names, SMS, International Profit Associates, solve "why" that is necessary. In this day and age, I do not believe it takes six weeks for check to clear. And pay people the commission they earn when they find it necessary to leave, this would be the ethical decision.

A good job for the right individual. A horrible job for 99.99% of people.

Former Employee - Senior Area Manager  in  Buffalo Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Buffalo Grove, IL

I worked at SMS

Pros

You are helping business owners. The compensation is good for the work load. The company is committed to training sales staff on the ins and outs of selling a unique service. They are committed to helping the sales staff stay on. The SAM has a fair amount of leeway on planing their day.

Cons

If you want to do your 40 hours a week and do it well you need to put in a good extra 20 hours in when you first start. This time will diminish once you get through the learning curve of learning the industry and EVERY other industry out there. They tell you that you will get a company provided permanent assistant to schedule for you and that the assistant will schedule exclusively for you. They tell you the leads are qualified and solid. They tell you the leads are double checked by the management staff. All of these things are at best incorrect, at worse flat out lies. The Assistants are at best, doing the best they can. They are mostly young individuals doing their best to schedule appointments for a person they never met in a place they have never been. I had 21 Assistants in the first 24 days. There was no continuity of support. I can not train an assistant to schedule my area correctly when I have a new one every day that is not even supplied with a map on my 100 mile area with major waterways complicating travel. The same five lead could be set up to run you 100 miles in a day or 250 miles. I got the 250 version, every day. I do not hold the Assistants responsible for this the fault lies in a management culture that spends too much time pushing the sale of the appointment and too little time training the schedulers on the realities of geography. This is compounded by the lake of timely payout of commissions. Six weeks is too long to have to wait for a check. I realize that they have to wait for the clients check to clear, but in this day and age that takes 3-5 days tops. The other aspect is after you are no longer with the company they will not pay you the commissions they own you and they do not have to by Illinois state law. So plan on working the last 6 weeks for free. Oh yes i forgot to mention this is a 100% commission job. Don't get me wrong I knew this when I took the job. I have worked commission for years and I am good at it, very good. I am just not used to having my sales depend on other people quit so much.

So in short....after all that. The leads are horrible. The leads are not well schedule. For god sake pay your sales staff in a timely manner. Not only do we live in an immediate gratification society, we all have bills to pay, not the least of which is the cost of business which for we was 1200 in the first 3 weeks. This left me trying to hang on for at least 3 more weeks to get paid on my first sales.

Since you are in the business of convincing business owners they should let someone come in from the outside and analyze their business I am sure you will be open minded about this analysis of your business.

1. During the SAM training> The numbers your senior staff quotes about your company should match. Having each person quote a different number for the same statistic is unnerving. It is one thing for each senior manager to have their own take on which statistics are the most important, it is quite a different story to have them quoting the statistic with completely different numbers. It was as if you all got in a room together and decided to all use a different number.

2. Make the BC assigned to the SAM permanent until one of them asks for a change or management sees that one is needed. There is no contiguity of training for either of them if they are switched daily or even through-out the day. I wouldn't have cared if the BC was fresh out of training. Changing the behavior of one individual takes 3 weeks as you well know. Why would you not follow your own advice and let that process take place? The relationship between these two people is the foundation of your business is it not? You do not build synergistic bonds by accident, they are built by trust, respect and learning.

3. Speed your compensation up. It is ridiculous to wait that long for a check. Which brings me to..

4. Not paying for services rendered after departure of employee. Ask yourselves, Did the employee not earn that money? It is in the rights of an ethical company not to pay for services rendered? Is this company ethical? Now a cynical person might think that is the reason you take so long to pay your sales staff. Oh by the way, I am a cynical person. There is no way you can convince me those to factors go hand in hand. I would love to see the numbers of what percentage of profit the company makes on with-held compensation. My educated guess is that it would not be as big a hit to your bottom line as you think because the new SAMs would stay long enough to learn their craft and not bail thinking they’re working for free.

5. The image of the company needs to be worked on in an industry that has image issues already. Make a concerted effort to change how departing employees feel about the company and how clients feel about the approach as a whole. I can not comment on how much the business practice have change since the renaming of IPA to SMS since I didn’t work under IPA, but too many issues have to be explained away when IPA is mentioned. Most of their concerns have less to do with past legal issues IPA had and more to do with personal experience Business owners had with IPA. Since SMS is the leader in the industry the company needs to take to lead and change the perception of itself and therefore the industry. It is far easier to sell a product that people look for than a product the seller hides. Take ownership of the fact that SMS is IPA and play on lessons learned and changing business strategies with the times....much like your company wants their clients to do. Own the fact that you needed, and need to change also.

There are newer employer reviews for SMS

Worked for SMS? Contribute to the Community!