SPX

www.spx.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for SPX

The jobs I performed I enjoyed but the poor management was a problem.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockford, IL
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockford, IL

I worked at SPX

Pros

The tasks and opportunites that I did receive were great. Generally the coworkers (and some of management) were very helpful and supportive. Safety was becoming a big consideration in decisions.

Cons

It was always a fight to expand my own abilities.
Accountablity was not usually a part of the work envirnoment nor was there a level playing field.

Pick a path and stick to it. Do not say you want something then do nothing to support it.

61 Other Employee Reviews for SPX (View Most Recent)

SPX a supplier to all.

Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Allen Park, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Allen Park, MI

I have been working at SPX

Pros

Employee support. Hands down one of the best HR teams in the industry. There support for employee life & work balance is amazing so far. Benifits and time off is on par with most of the East coast industry. Global opportunities all the time. Large company with small offices aroung the globe. Flexible management team. I have only been with the company for a short time but am satisfied so far.

Cons

The pay scales are far below industry standard for East Coast and I do feel they took advantage of the lack of jobs in Michigan when making offers to employee's and playing the "how bad do you want to work=how little pay will you accept" game.

Lack of direction and/or decision making from the abundance of under educated "middle managers", makes meeting productions times a little tough when the products been delivered and your still figuring out the process (of-course take into account client issues).

Seems a recurring story with SPX from clients I meet, about the flurry of low pay resources thrown at a project with very little direction and no plan in place.

X Culture? More like "J" Culture as in categorizing the latter section of the baby boom separately, as Generation Jones (born between 1954 and 1965) More like Want to get "Back to Black"??? Time to take a look at the incredible amount of uneducated under skilled "seasoned" employees you have and where there placed. I would say the average age is 48-52, which happens to currently be a generation who didn't grow up with computers and I know, it's unfortunate but we have to work with it. Had they been factory workers for the Big 3 they would be retiring right now, but instead most were mechanics and some were technicians (yes there is a difference) and now there getting sharepoint mazes and cad software dropped in there laps with maybe 2 days training and it really kills productivity on a daily basis in electronic publishing. Put together a panel and move these guys into positions where there experience can benefit a younger faster employee and increase production. In other words move them out of production and into product/process quality control positions and bring in a younger culture to fuel innovation and speed growth for the future of SPX.

SPX - low stress and low pay in a friendly environment

Current Employee - Technical Editor in Exton, PA
    Current Employee - Technical Editor in Exton, PA

I have been working at SPX

Pros

Low-stress environment, small office, friendly co-workers. Decent office environment.

Cons

At SPX there is very low pay - muchlower than the industry standard. It's a former mom and pop shop, with HR offices in the midwest, where pay scales are lower than the east coast. There is little room for growth in small offices. And local management tends to give supervisor (jokingly referred to as "team leader") authority to the unskilled and uneducated folks despite clear and repeated indications of low intelligence and incompetence. Being friendly is more valued than being skilled and a hard worker.

Promote the hard workers rather than the popular, extra-friendly and uneducated heavy-lifting types. Knowledge and ability goes a lot farther than simple number of years of service.

There are newer employer reviews for SPX