There are newer employer reviews for SPX

Segment that I worked for pulled a bait and switch during interview - misstated many facts

Pros

The compensation was agreeable. They started embracing modern concepts (such as green technology) , and were actually starting to focus more on lean principles. Because the segment I worked for was smaller, I was able to get more hands-on experience in different departments; and therefore learn more.

Cons

Many manual processes, and reluctance to embrace more modern, streamlined approaches. Management more focused on fixing small fires than, agreeing, positioning the organization, and dedicating resources to fix the real problems: old processes, antiquated systems, manual data collection etc.

Advice to Management

Learn what collective intelligence is. Study it, and employ it. Or you'll end up with a handful of idiots running your organization. Your most valuable resources come not just from leadership, but from the people who support leadership. They know quite a lot, and in my experience, the reluctance of senior leadership has caused costly mistakes.

Other Employee Reviews for SPX

It never got better

Former Employee - Electronic Technician
    Former Employee - Electronic Technician

Pros

I thought they gave ample vacation time. We had personal days also to use at our pleasure was a bonus also. Sometimes getting the time off was difficult.

Cons

Some areas had so much mandatory overtime, especially at quarter end which always disrupted Christmas. My worst managers were with SPX. Yearly reviews were a time to dread. Positives were seldom addressed and the negatives were stressed. One review was graded as unsatisfactory because the manager wrote I took no classes. When I pointed out I took classes for seven weeks that year they said, "thats right, you did." Regardless, I was not eligible for a raise that year because of their mistake. One manager of mine which I went to HR because of inaccurate reviews was eventually let go for failing the drug test. The HR person agreed the review grade didn't match the review content but told me I had to build a relationship with that manager. Be prepared to see few raises, issues will be invented if needed.

Advice to Management

What level of leadership are you referring ? The leadership at the facility where I worked should be let go. Hire managers that have people skills. Hire managers that are born with ethics and morals and live their lives abiding by them, including their time spent at work.

Good Career Experience

Pros

Benefits were rich, middle management was wonderful in rewarding employees and mentoring them. However executive management was disengaged from the employee population.

Cons

No work/life balance, it was work until you break from too much stress.

Advice to Management

Be consistent in the way in which you review salary increases, promotion opportunities, etc.