There are newer employer reviews for SRA International

A company in a death spiral

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Fairfax, VA
Former Employee - Project Manager in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A job at SRA is better than being unemployed.

Cons

Being sold to Providence Equity was the worst thing that could have happened to SRA employees. Many other reviews tell the story about cut benefits, so there's no need to repeat those. The capability centers are a joke. Their leaders are new to the company, have no idea about who has what skills and where they are located in the company. They have no idea about past performance and have no idea who does know. Dissolving the horizontal specialty practices has been a disaster. The specialty practices used to manage their staffs and projects managers could go to practice management for help staffing surge or part-time requirements. Now, project managers can't staff or deliver surge, short or part-time projects.

Overhead no longer exists. You can't even get $1,000 for tools or training. SRA is hemorrhaging experienced staff and managers. Bill Ballhaus has surrounded himself with a bunch of sycophants who are out of touch with their teams and reality. The company has lost recompetes and hasn't won much in the way of new business. While management boasts about the IDIQ or BPA contract wins, the company has won few, if any, task orders under those IDIQs or BPAs. SRA recently received a stop work order on a large (100+ staff) contract because of delivery issues.

Long term employees at all level are demoralized. While the company publishes the percentage of voluntary terminations (one or two percent above competitors), they are afraid to publish the number of people who are laid-off.

The company used to pride itself on hiring people for a career, not a contract. Now it's a lousy body shop. It's really upsetting to see what has happened to a once great company.

Sell the company as quickly as possible since Humpty Dumpty can't be put back together. Quit filling your pockets with bonuses while you cut benefits and give miniscule raises. Stop telling lies to employees by saying that what you're doing to the employees is happening at all of your competitors.

417 Other Employee Reviews for SRA International (View Most Recent)

If I had another option for employment, I'd not hesitate

Current Employee - Not In Administration
    Current Employee - Not In Administration

I have been working at SRA International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Supervisors leave me alone to do the work I know how to do without interference.

Cons

Since the former federal contract I was under was rebid and won by SRA, I've lost two weeks of vacation, two holidays, lost any recognition for accomplishments, and have seen my health care costs skyrocket while quote unquote merit increases have been around 2%. This despite my clients outspoken appreciation for my work. In addition to rising health care costs, deductibles have risen, copays have risen, maximum out of pocket has risen. This year alone, SRA announced a one-week reduction in vacation time, drastically cut the leave cap, and eliminated an additional holiday, all as a means to cut costs - while last year the CEO won a $2mil bonus on top of his over $800k salary. It's become obvious that the new owners of SRA - Providence Equity - is rewarding Bill for reducing staff, cutting benefits, and generally doing what he can to make people want to leave. Major players announce their resignation on a regular basis. The best have already left, the rest are trying to. The company morale is the lowest I've ever known it to be.

Corporate structure is top-heavy, with administration getting most of the salary increases, bonuses, and perks. Meanwhile, the "workers in the trenches" like me continue to lose money every year. For example, this year the increases in health and dental insurance are more than twice what I gained in my annual increase - insurance is going up $200 a month, while my increase was $100 a month. Every year I stay I'm falling farther behind, not only in salary but in benefits.

SRA make a lot of noise about being in the "SRA Family" but I know I'm just a name and a number. Opportunities for advancement are nil - not one of the people in my sector have been given any opportunity to advance (there are several dozen of us).

I fully expect another round of benefit cuts and cost reduction measures to be announced within a half year. SRA will continue to do this until all the best people have jumped ship, and the only people left don't have marketable skills. This will make the company even less competitive, which will lead to fewer contracts being won, which will lead to further cost cutting measures, which will lead to the company having mediocre employees who will be glad just to have a job. These mediocre employees will lessen the chance of SRA winning new contracts, which will start the cycle over again - cost cutting, benefit cutting, salary stagnation or reduction, and overall a corporate environment which will discourage the brightest and best from being interested in working with them.

Pass along profits to people who actually do the work.

Express appreciation for those who do their jobs well and who get good reviews from clients. And no, I don't mean verbal appreciation or some stupid certificate.

When employee benefits are being cut and health care costs are rising, eliminate bonuses for anyone in management.

Fire Bill. Replace him with someone less hypocritical, less political, more honest, and someone who genuinely cares about the company, not just his own financial portfolio.

Good run for 17 yrs

I worked at SRA International full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people, most of whom have left or were let go.

Cons

Changes being implemented to be "competitive'

There are newer employer reviews for SRA International

Worked for SRA International? Contribute to the Community!