There are newer employer reviews for SRA International

Light working environment, interesting work, and you get your own office

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Dayton, OH
Former Employee - Software Engineer in Dayton, OH

I worked at SRA International

Pros

Small sat. office that's part of a big corporation. Good mentoring and employee growth. Very interesting projects. Solid starting salary. Telecommuting.

Cons

Office may sometimes seem empty. Can be very bureaucratic at times. Depending on what project your own determines your freedom.

Advice to Management

If you want a relaxed work environment with a decent amount of freedom this is your place. Depending on project and manager the work and environment can be very exciting.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great place to work unless you're placed on a customer site

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at SRA International

Pros

Health benefits are very generous, and the paid time off is lumped into one "bucket" so that you don't have to play the "Vacation" vs. "Sick Time" game. Compensation was a little bit low to start but once a proven performer the raises were generous. Lots of continuing education. Flexible work schedule. Getting promoted is very easy if you demonstrate proficiency in your work.

Cons

As is usually the case with government contractors, there is virtually no career path if you want to stay technical. You have to move to management and your razor sharp skill set will likely be a casualty of the process. For a technology company that prides itself on CMMI and other certifications, the internal company "tools" provided for content management and information sharing are cave-man-esque. Many management staff are a bit out of touch and don't contribute a whole lot of value.

Advice to Management

I've worked at SRA for a few years and have not seen a whole lot of change, positive or negative, since the new CEO came on board. He did a lot of "shaking up" at the outset, and laid out some very aggressive growth plans that ended up dead in the water. There hasn't been a whole lot of followup since then, and I don't think employees feel very much a part of SRA as a whole, outside of their own little team.

SRA is NOT the place for non-technical staff

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Arlington, VA

I worked at SRA International

Pros

It paid my bills - just barely.

Cons

NOT the place for a non-technical person to work at. I have a BA and MA and went to work at SRA as a defense analyst. Bad move. Not being a technical person at SRA means you are a third class employee and they don't care about you. My grad school prof worked as a defense contractor and told me to NOT bother working as a contractor as I would be maltreated and disregarded. She was correct. My pay was less than someone with a HS degree and I had a grad degree from a top notch university. Trying to leave SRA and get into another company or field (in defense) was impossible. I had to go to law school at night and gin up even more student loans to get out of SRA and into another field. Big mistake and I should have listened to my professor and not gone to SRA. Should have gone to a non-profit or waited tables.
    The techies think they have no real career advancement, well at SRA there is no advancement or respect for a non-technical person. The same goes for my friends who had MBA's and were paid far less than other MBA positions. Needless to say they did not stay past a year and got out as quickly as they could find another job elsewhere.

Realize that if you go to SRA or another third-tier contracting company you will be stuck no matter what you do. I worked on proposals and did marketing and management hoping to move with that skill set but that did not work either. No choice but to go to Law School and get out. Huge price paid for this job.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the non-technical staff. We work as hard, if not harder, than the techies and still get no respect. Cost cutting to up stock prices was stupid and short-sighted. No money for any training unless you paid for it by yourself. I don't know how to fix the non-technical employee issue. But it does need to be fixed and according to long-time emplooyees, this is NOT new and has been going on since the very start of SRA .