Amazing Place to Jump Start Your Career

Former Employee - Digital Engineer in Syracuse, NY
Former Employee - Digital Engineer in Syracuse, NY

I worked at SRC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I came to SRC right out of college. I had other possible job opportunities when I was looking for jobs, but SRC seemed like the best place for me. Working for an R & D company is great. The amount of freedom you have to solve random problems is amazing, and the programs are really interesting. Which is expected being in the defense contracting sector for the government. You really get a good feeling of accomplishment when working for this kind of company because you are making systems that protect our military. Strictly defense equipment so there really isn't any moral conflicts (like if you were building offensive weapons like missiles for other companies). It's a younger crowd. I'd say the majority of people are in there 20's or 30's. Of course upper management is usually older. Everyone there is incredibly intelligent and very kind and willing to share information with you. Even though the people there are very bright, they don't make you feel inferior, they promote asking questions and constantly learning new things about the systems that they build. Additionally, and I think you will love this, the managers are engineers (most of them)! So talking to them about what can/can't be done is incredibly easy since they really understand the material. Furthermore, I think since the majority of people there are engineers, office politics is more than manageable. No backstabbing, undermining etc... Everyone works very well with each other and people take blame when they should. Which was a big change from my previous employer. Starting salary is more than reasonable, and promotions are intelligently given. Your managers have really good insight into how and what you have worked on and are very generous when it comes to performance reviews. Even there areas of improvement are kind heart'd and very helpful, they don't make you feel like they are attacking you at all.

Cons

The biggest issue I have with this company... The location. Syracuse is not a bad place. If you love the snow/cold. The area isn't really that great for younger individuals (like myself). Sure, you can go to downtown Syracuse for some fun but it's quite limited (to like a couple blocks) and a bit run'd down. It's more of a location for the "older" crowd. Even though the work is great, the location would of made me leave (which wasn't why I left in the first place, but eventually it would have been). Also, you can't really do the same kind of work at the head quarters (Syracuse) as in there offsite locations (excluding Chantilly). Actually, if you want a similar job as to what I had you have a VERY limited location selection. They need to expand to warmer more urban areas. No, your not even close to NY city. Makes you wonder why there are way more young people here. I fell like they start here, it looks really good on there resume and then they leave for a better location/pay.

Advice to Management

You run a top notch company and have very intelligent individuals working for you. You have great benefits as well. But the one thing that is going to drive off recent college grads is your location. It is not meant for them and they will get bored (like me). Expand to warmer areas (like CA, not that tiny offsite in San Diego, if anything expand it to be similar in size as Syracuse). If you do that, college grads would be more inclined to work for you. Not just my opinion, I have asked people that have left and they seem to agree.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Electronic Warfare Engineer

Current Employee - Electronic Warfare Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Electronic Warfare Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at SRC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is great benefits-retirement plan, leave, health insurance. They offer full tuition reimbursement for schooling and are flexible with work hours. The environment is pretty relaxed. I feel free to do my job without a lot of interference from management.

Cons

The pay and promotion oppurtunities are limited. Many oppurtunities to those with military experience, limited promotion capability for those straight out of school.

2. Extreme Disappointment

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at SRC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of really sharp and motivated but young engineers. Engineering staff is asked to do a lot and to meet hard hard milestones sometimes without adequate support.

Cons

This small company is trying to get bigger but has a so-so and arrogant, inexperienced management staff. The business managment part of the company seems to have a hard time keeping constant income and seems to be very political. While SRC says they don't like to get rid of people, they've let a lot of people go in the last year.

Advice to Management

Learn what makes a good manager and have a good management staff.