SRC

www.srcinc.com

Introspective Company with a Good Heart

Former Employee - Director  in  Chantilly, VA
Former Employee - Director in Chantilly, VA

Pros

Excellent benefits, competitive salaries, good work culture, approachable management. The company is committed to customer outcomes and their engineering solutions are top-notch. Their electronic warfare and radar center delivers world class solutions at affordable prices, due to good engineers working together with low turnover and good technical management.

Cons

The company has grown out of their roots as a small New York not-for-profit, but they haven't learned how to deal with that success. All leadership of any significance emanates from Syracuse, despite the fact that all of their major customers and about half of their workforce is elsewhere. The company is struggling as they try to invest their "profit" in new initiatives without investing in the market research to help guide their decisions, and without a multi-year investment strategy.

Spend more time looking outside the company and focused on customers, and look at building a significant leadership presence in the DC area (not just a gesture please).

Other reviews for SRC

Great Company, But Underpaid

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Company has flexible work schedules that allow you to take advantage of their complete tuition support. They have great benefits and above industry standard for 401k matching. Most of the people you work with are great.

Cons

The starting salaries tend to be much lower for the given market. This wouldn't be so bad, but it is also very hard to move up/get promoted as well.

The salaries are too low and noncompetitive to keep your talent around. You invest a great deal of time and effort teaching these engineers to be proficient/knowledgeable in what they do, its time to start paying them what they're worth to keep them around. Otherwise, you will just keep losing them to other companies that are willing and happy to pay them higher salaries.

Amazing Place to Jump Start Your Career

Former Employee - Digital Engineer  in  Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Digital Engineer in Syracuse, NY

Pros

I came to SRC right out of college. I had other possible job opportunities when I was looking for jobs, but SRC seemed like the best place for me. Working for an R & D company is great. The amount of freedom you have to solve random problems is amazing, and the programs are really interesting. Which is expected being in the defense contracting sector for the government. You really get a good feeling of accomplishment when working for this kind of company because you are making systems that protect our military. Strictly defense equipment so there really isn't any moral conflicts (like if you were building offensive weapons like missiles for other companies).

It's a younger crowd. I'd say the majority of people are in there 20's or 30's. Of course upper management is usually older. Everyone there is incredibly intelligent and very kind and willing to share information with you. Even though the people there are very bright, they don't make you feel inferior, they promote asking questions and constantly learning new things about the systems that they build. Additionally, and I think you will love this, the managers are engineers (most of them)! So talking to them about what can/can't be done is incredibly easy since they really understand the material. Furthermore, I think since the majority of people there are engineers, office politics is more than manageable. No backstabbing, undermining etc... Everyone works very well with each other and people take blame when they should. Which was a big change from my previous employer.

Starting salary is more than reasonable, and promotions are intelligently given. Your managers have really good insight into how and what you have worked on and are very generous when it comes to performance reviews. Even there areas of improvement are kind heart'd and very helpful, they don't make you feel like they are attacking you at all.

Cons

The biggest issue I have with this company... The location. Syracuse is not a bad place. If you love the snow/cold. The area isn't really that great for younger individuals (like myself). Sure, you can go to downtown Syracuse for some fun but it's quite limited (to like a couple blocks) and a bit run'd down. It's more of a location for the "older" crowd. Even though the work is great, the location would of made me leave (which wasn't why I left in the first place, but eventually it would have been). Also, you can't really do the same kind of work at the head quarters (Syracuse) as in there offsite locations (excluding Chantilly). Actually, if you want a similar job as to what I had you have a VERY limited location selection. They need to expand to warmer more urban areas. No, your not even close to NY city.

Makes you wonder why there are way more young people here. I fell like they start here, it looks really good on there resume and then they leave for a better location/pay.

You run a top notch company and have very intelligent individuals working for you. You have great benefits as well. But the one thing that is going to drive off recent college grads is your location. It is not meant for them and they will get bored (like me). Expand to warmer areas (like CA, not that tiny offsite in San Diego, if anything expand it to be similar in size as Syracuse). If you do that, college grads would be more inclined to work for you. Not just my opinion, I have asked people that have left and they seem to agree.

There are newer employer reviews for SRC.

Worked for SRC? Contribute to the Community!