There are newer employer reviews for SRP

Stable, but Slow

Former Employee - Analyst
Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at SRP

Pros

Alternate work week schedule
Incentive pay plan
Flexible work hours
Good communication
Stability
Interesting changes in industry involving regulation
Good Benefits 401k, health, dental, vision, pension plan, life insurance
Excellent office locations
Work life balance

Cons

Slow promotion schedule
Large bureaucracy
Compensation growth limited
Regulations inhibit innovation
Municipal status limits growth opportunities and profit opportunities resulting in limited upside to compensation particularly in energy trading areas
Poor office quality e.g. furniture, cubicles, lighting, etc.
Managers have a tendency to micromanage because finance, technology, and accounting positions tend to be greatly overstaffed resulting in a light workload
Limited opportunities for advancement beyond senior engineer/analyst level

Management should attempt to streamline the bureaucracy, while maintaining customer service quality.

reviews filtered by

Sorry I Left SRP

Former Employee - Communications and Public Affairs in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Communications and Public Affairs in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at SRP full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

SRP (Salt River Project) is the people's company. It was formed in the early 1900's as a necessity. Someone had to manage the flow of water into the Phoenix area, as well as the hydro-electric power generated by their series of dams on the Salt and Verde rivers. SRP employees are their customers, and vice versa. This is a GREAT place to work. Annual raises are determined by MBO (Management by Objective). Employees are not subject to the whims of CEOs or sole proprietors. I'm sorry I left. It's a tough world for the self-employed.

Cons

Because raises or promotions are determined once per year at SRP, the notion of constantly pleasing "the boss" is moot. All the butt kissing in the world won't make a bit of difference during the other 11 months. Therefore, it is real easy to get "fat and satisfied" in your job. Because SRP is a not-for-profit public utility and a federal sub-division, they have tons of money. Therefore, it's easy to get spoiled with huge equipment and operations budgets. Maybe not a "Con", but certainly fuel for waste and apathy.

SRP is very progressive in their hiring and new employee orientation. Whether in the hourly workforce, middle or upper management, if there is a new trend or better method of management, SRP is usually on top of things. The down side of this is the practice of hiring outside consultants seemingly more often than consulting existing employees who are close to the situation. I'm not saying to stop the practice all together, I just think employee loyalty would improve if they felt they had more ownership.

2. Great company

Current Employee - Engineer Intern in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Engineer Intern in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at SRP

Pros

Learned a lot for an internship

Cons

Lots of driving but good otherwise

There are newer employer reviews for SRP