SS&C

www.ssctech.com

Punished Because I Do Good Work

Senior Accountant (Current Employee) Windsor, CT

ProsThe office atmosphere is generally laid back and employees can wear jeans most days. The office itself is in an easy to reach location with plenty of parking. SS&C can give some basic experience to a college kid who plans to only stay a year or two.

ConsBeware of SS&C if you have good working standards and care about the job you do. Unless you’re well-liked by your managers, you will get nowhere.

I feel like I am punished because I can do my job. I am told that I am one of few people who performs as well as I do, and because of that, I am given extra work above and beyond my peers. Since I have more work than my peers and my work is of a more difficult level, I constantly feel stressed to get things done in an allotted time. Some of the work I do is at more of a managerial level but I am not compensated any more for it. Meanwhile, I see my coworkers and managers surfing the 'net and they are able to take regular lunches while I am basically forced to stay at my desk for my lunch. If I choose to take a normal lunch like my coworkers, I will fall behind in my work and miss deadlines. Even though I have so much work, sometimes my managers try to give me even more to do and I have to refuse it. This makes me look bad because I had to say "no", but only to protect myself from being overloaded to the point that I start making big mistakes because I don't have enough time to complete what I already have to do. If my managers did their jobs, they would realize the predicament I am in and be proactive by correcting the issues.

Senior management operates in panic mode and only when it's too late. Instead of being proactive by doing the things that normal companies do, such as: hiring the right people, providing adequate training and tools, and interacting with employees, I hardly ever see senior management acting in accordance with what one would consider appropriate. In fact, I hardly ever see senior management at all and this is sad considering we don't have a huge office.

Raises and bonuses are mediocre and haven't been given regularly the past couple of years. Although the economy is not so good, the company has been doing fairly well. There isn't much of a reason to dangle these mediocre raises and bonuses out there because when we receive them, it is like a slap in the face. We only receive correspondence from the CEO when he has something to complain about. It seems rare that we hear anything that is congratulatory. Some people deserve praise at times and they don't deserve to receive rants that threaten us about losing raises and bonuses for the performance failures of a select few.

If you are some college kid and/or are just looking to get some experience for a couple of years, give it a try. But to do anything meaningful career-wise, you should not plan to stay with SS&C for very long.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy not try managing? Too many things seem to operate on auto pilot. Eventually, even things running on auto pilot need to be monitored and maintained. This leads me back to that bullet point from before - "PROATIVE". By doing things the way they are currently, it is impossible to be as successful as you expect. People in that office don't want to stay because things are worsening. But in the general SS&C style, I am sure no one is listening or cares as long as the work gets done.

Management does not know how to manage

Senior Fund Accountant (Current Employee) Windsor Locks, CT

I have been working at SS&C

Pros: Work can be interesting at times. Some employees can work from home.Clients are… Cons: The management here does not know how to manage teams, they are given the positions based on the fact that they handled a project well… Advice to Senior Management: Management training is a must. Managing employees is not always about managing the work that needs… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Work culture is good

Senior Fund Accountant (Current Employee) Airoli (India)

I have been working at SS&C full-time for less than a year

Pros: If you want to start a career its good to start with this company since the co is… Cons: the team member morale should be boosted and less biased… Advice to Senior Management: every six monthly meet with Employees and one to one… More
There are newer reviews on SS&C.

Worked for SS&C? Contribute to the Community!