SS&C

Indifferent in NY

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at SS&C

Pros

This is a software company that has a private equity and hedge fund administration services group.

The company is a good place for students right out of college that want to get some background/experiance in private equity or hedge funds before heading to a Fund. The environment is pretty laid back, you can wear jeans if you want. The environment is an open space which makes communication pretty easy but no privacy. There are a handful of people at the supervisor/management level that have been in the department for awhile which is good for the group but not really good for someone at a staff level looking to advance quickly.

Certain Managers/Supervisors are great in teaching the staff and really make an effort in there development.

It is client service but work hours (depending on the client you are on) are not to bad.

Cons

I think I have seen more cons here than pros.

As I mentioned before there are a handful of people at the supervisor/management level that have been in the department for awhile which is good for the group but not really good for someone at a staff level looking to advance quickly. I really don't feel that there is much growth here, the department seems to be growing at a snail pace but it could be due to the economy. The company does not seem to really promote from within but maybe b/c there is high turnover.

There is no formal review process which is not a big deal as you can personally meet with your manager/supervisor/director. However, there is no upward feedback so if you have an issue with someone you can speak to a Manager and/or Director but the issue never really gets addressed.

I think the biggest problem is the Director, the group can definetly be run better. I think upper management needs to provide an anonymous upward feedback policy so that they see how unhappy the employees are with the Director of the group and certain Supervisors/Managers. If Management does not open their eyes there will continue to be high turnovers.

Certain staff dont really seem motivated with their job or with where their career is headed, it seems more like a work, work, work, mundane, mundane environment. Certain clients want a very quick turnaround at any cost. Seems like we are just puppets and the Director of the group is more concerned with the bottom line then with employee satisfaction.

Company is kind of cheap, every group has seperate charge code and the Directors of the group are then motivated to keep the bottom line as high as possible, at the cost of the employees.

There is no training program for the software that is used, which is ridiculous for a software company that promotes a program to client but does not provide training to their own employees!!

NO visability, you will never meet the CEO or CFO or any person of great authority in this group.

To the Director of the groups, perhaps you should change your way of thinking and really put forth an effort in making a difference in the group. Be an authority figure not a best friend, employees dont really seem to look up to you and they dont seem to respect you. I am not sure if it is too late since this has been the case for some time now.

To SS&C upper management you really need to implement an upper feedback policy if not how can you make changes if your employees dont feel that they have a voice or you dont listen to what they have to say. You will be surprised buy what your employees have to say about certain departments and individuals.

111 Other Employee Reviews for SS&C (View Most Recent)

Punished Because I Do Good Work

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Windsor, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Windsor, CT

I have been working at SS&C

Pros

The office atmosphere is generally laid back and employees can wear jeans most days. The office itself is in an easy to reach location with plenty of parking. SS&C can give some basic experience to a college kid who plans to only stay a year or two.

Cons

Beware of SS&C if you have good working standards and care about the job you do. Unless you’re well-liked by your managers, you will get nowhere.

I feel like I am punished because I can do my job. I am told that I am one of few people who performs as well as I do, and because of that, I am given extra work above and beyond my peers. Since I have more work than my peers and my work is of a more difficult level, I constantly feel stressed to get things done in an allotted time. Some of the work I do is at more of a managerial level but I am not compensated any more for it. Meanwhile, I see my coworkers and managers surfing the 'net and they are able to take regular lunches while I am basically forced to stay at my desk for my lunch. If I choose to take a normal lunch like my coworkers, I will fall behind in my work and miss deadlines. Even though I have so much work, sometimes my managers try to give me even more to do and I have to refuse it. This makes me look bad because I had to say "no", but only to protect myself from being overloaded to the point that I start making big mistakes because I don't have enough time to complete what I already have to do. If my managers did their jobs, they would realize the predicament I am in and be proactive by correcting the issues.

Senior management operates in panic mode and only when it's too late. Instead of being proactive by doing the things that normal companies do, such as: hiring the right people, providing adequate training and tools, and interacting with employees, I hardly ever see senior management acting in accordance with what one would consider appropriate. In fact, I hardly ever see senior management at all and this is sad considering we don't have a huge office.

Raises and bonuses are mediocre and haven't been given regularly the past couple of years. Although the economy is not so good, the company has been doing fairly well. There isn't much of a reason to dangle these mediocre raises and bonuses out there because when we receive them, it is like a slap in the face. We only receive correspondence from the CEO when he has something to complain about. It seems rare that we hear anything that is congratulatory. Some people deserve praise at times and they don't deserve to receive rants that threaten us about losing raises and bonuses for the performance failures of a select few.

If you are some college kid and/or are just looking to get some experience for a couple of years, give it a try. But to do anything meaningful career-wise, you should not plan to stay with SS&C for very long.

Why not try managing? Too many things seem to operate on auto pilot. Eventually, even things running on auto pilot need to be monitored and maintained. This leads me back to that bullet point from before - "PROATIVE". By doing things the way they are currently, it is impossible to be as successful as you expect. People in that office don't want to stay because things are worsening. But in the general SS&C style, I am sure no one is listening or cares as long as the work gets done.

Management does not know how to manage

Current Employee - Senior Fund Accountant in Windsor Locks, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Fund Accountant in Windsor Locks, CT

I have been working at SS&C

Pros

Work can be interesting at times. Some employees can work from home.Clients are good to work with. Some employees are able to work with what they love.

Cons

The management here does not know how to manage teams, they are given the positions based on the fact that they handled a project well or that they made the company money. Managing a project and managing a team are completely different. Employees are treated differently based on if they like or not. There are no long term visions, everything is "Just get it done and we will figure it out later." This creates a lot of issues down the line and employees begin to jump ship. Bonuses and raises are done on a dollar basis not percentages, this makes it hard for employees to know where they stand based on what others may have gotten.

Management training is a must. Managing employees is not always about managing the work that needs to get done, it is making sure the team is healthy in mind, body, and spirit.

There are newer employer reviews for SS&C