There are newer employer reviews for SSE

Okay if you want.

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor  in  Cosham, England (UK)
Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Cosham, England (UK)

I have been working at SSE

Pros

Probably the best thing about SSE is that you will most certainly have the chance to take on the challenges at work if you so wish.
The pay is not bad at all and the people there are generally nice. If you are looking for a place to tread water or if you are not really bothered about getting on too soon, then definitely work there!
You can opt into a pension, shares as well but generally speaking it is no better an offer than othr similar sized companies.

Cons

Too many promises! On starting with SSE take a look at their corporate inspired website/intranet. The offer and promise of training and development seem right on! The problem is delivery.
Unfortunately there is a gap between the corporate wishful thinking and the hard day-to-day reality of having no time to develop in the way that is promoted.
You will not be given time to 'find the carreer you want' at SSE. Its just the same as any other bog standard employer expecting you to go off and spend all your own time developing yourself, putting this into the workplace and there being no substansive payoff for this after an extended time.

Break the mould of British business and actually mean what you say on your own website! (Believe me you do not!)

26 Other Employee Reviews for SSE (View Most Recent)

Scottish and Southern Energy - How do I get a job there ?

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Inverness, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Inverness, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at SSE

Pros

Very enjoyble work environment. Opportunities for those who want them and work for them, regardless of qualifications or background. Potential job for life. Senior management see employees as their most valuable asset and treat them as such. Sharesaves and SIPS a fantastic benefit. Seen by outsiders as a "great place to work". Proud to tell people I work for Scottish and Southern Energy.

Cons

A bit too much red tape in areas when you just want to get something done, although they are addressing this and other issues in staff workshops.

Never forget how important the staff are to the business.

A continuing adventure

Current Employee - Management Analyst  in  Havant, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Management Analyst in Havant, England (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's a family away from home, everyone is close knit and go through the good and bad times together. Always supporting each other and being their brother's keeper. Amazing benefits, a joy to work for.

Cons

Definitely need management training especially within the call centre where I started out, seems like nothing has changed. Very young managers each with their own rules which means the rules are not consistent throughout the company. This needs to change and I believe more training will benefit the long term goal and vision of the company that SSE strive for.

Benefits are great, training needs to improve a short term cost but a long term benefit. This should be invested in. There needs to be consistency within the company. I have worked here for 5 years and the same problems arise regarding management.

There are newer employer reviews for SSE

Worked for SSE? Contribute to the Community!