There are newer employer reviews for SSE

Twenty years of blood, sweat and tears

Current Employee - Billing Account Manager in Basingstoke, England (UK)
Current Employee - Billing Account Manager in Basingstoke, England (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My colleagues make every day enjoyable, and we all enjoy getting things done as a team, and making sure our customers get the best possible service.

Cons

The software we have to use is not always up to the job, and the management need to relax, and allow the experienced staff to use their own judgement whenever possible. Communication is key and making sure the staff have the necessary tools to perform at the required standard.

Advice to Management

Use the loyalty and experience of your staff to your advantage, instead of encouraging them to leave (VER) and replacing them with young, eager but less experienced staff, who don't necessarily have the best interests of the company at heart.

reviews filtered by
  1. Work hard and you can go far

Current Employee - Analyst Programmer in Havant, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Analyst Programmer in Havant, England (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great working atmosphere, people are generally good, obviously there are going to some poor ones. Staff benefits are really good and include, sharessave scheme where you buy share s at a 20% discount, shares sip buy 3 shares and they give you 6 free ones (yes 6 free!!), pension where at minimum they match but long service means I put in 6% and they 12%. Staff discount on energy bills, holiday plus so you can buy up to 2 weeks extra holiday, car lease scheme.......need I go on.

I started 14 years ago in the call centre, planned to stay 6 months....now work in It on £500 million project to deliver smart meters and earn 4 times what I did when I started. I have industry recognised skills and could probably go else where and earn more money but I love working for them.

Cons

Too many freeloaders whose managers are not strong enough to manage them out. Change can be resisted by those not engaged.

Advice to Management

Contractor's are not always better value, make sure you take the time to review sse employees views before renewing contract. Create more junior positions to give progression to unskilled staff.

2. The corrupt higher management of Direct sales

Former Employee - Branch Manager Direct Sales in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Branch Manager Direct Sales in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at SSE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

An excellent company with very good staff and peer culture.

Cons

The pursuit of sales target at the expense of staff and customers. That was warned two years previous to the Ofgem fine.

Advice to Management

Listen to you workforce at grass roots.