There are newer employer reviews for SSE

Scottish and Southern Energy - How do I get a job there ?

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Inverness, Scotland (UK)
Current Employee - Engineer in Inverness, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at SSE

Pros

Very enjoyble work environment. Opportunities for those who want them and work for them, regardless of qualifications or background. Potential job for life. Senior management see employees as their most valuable asset and treat them as such. Sharesaves and SIPS a fantastic benefit. Seen by outsiders as a "great place to work". Proud to tell people I work for Scottish and Southern Energy.

Cons

A bit too much red tape in areas when you just want to get something done, although they are addressing this and other issues in staff workshops.

Never forget how important the staff are to the business.

25 Other Employee Reviews for SSE (View Most Recent)

A continuing adventure

Current Employee - Management Analyst  in  Havant, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Management Analyst in Havant, England (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's a family away from home, everyone is close knit and go through the good and bad times together. Always supporting each other and being their brother's keeper. Amazing benefits, a joy to work for.

Cons

Definitely need management training especially within the call centre where I started out, seems like nothing has changed. Very young managers each with their own rules which means the rules are not consistent throughout the company. This needs to change and I believe more training will benefit the long term goal and vision of the company that SSE strive for.

Benefits are great, training needs to improve a short term cost but a long term benefit. This should be invested in. There needs to be consistency within the company. I have worked here for 5 years and the same problems arise regarding management.

SSE intern over a period of 6 months

Current Employee - Generation Intern
    Current Employee - Generation Intern

I have been working at SSE full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good place to get a working experience in the generation business and to appreciate the challenges of energy generation.

Cons

No processes, not strong e-learning platforms, big generation plants are not coordinated, therefore the engineering practices can vary a lot. Engineering level is very low, even though I don´t know whether this is just from the facility itself or the sector (there are no processes at all for introducing new technologies, for assessing efficiency of the plant, etc.). In general, the plant at which I worked had a very poor engineering level and required very long outages every year to be functional in winter. Frustration and fire fighting were common and engineering bodies and chartership were not considered.

Improve the engineering culture. Bring people from other sectors with a stronger engineering culture (automotive, aerospace, manufacturing) to implement best practices. Set up central functions to create strategies across the business, promote charter-ship for engineers!!!

There are newer employer reviews for SSE

Worked for SSE? Contribute to the Community!