STA Travel
www.statravelgroup.com London, United Kingdom 150 to 499 Employees

Bottom of the barrel

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Tempe, AZ

Pros* Good travel benefits for top performers
* Ability to help people plan amazing travel adventures.
* Young environment; generally fun, social work scene

Cons* Limited capabilities at a management level, particularly for branch managers.
* Basically no training beyond the initial 2 week introductory period
* Ridiculously low base salary, particularly for the urban branch offices (low 20s/year). Yeah, you can get a decent amount of money in commissions, but there's a lot of outside factors that will impact your ability to sell (hello, economy?)

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen I left, the feeling in the branches was that people are working for a sinking company. The products sold weren't t as good as they used to be. Customers can easily go direct. The direction of the company was unclear, and certainly not communicated to the team members.

Invest in some management talent to develop a clear strategy for the company. Invest in people.

A fairly fun job for too little money

Travel Advisor (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

I worked at STA Travel

Pros: Working with students to plan trips around the world, travel… Cons: Not being able to afford to travel yourself, low wages based on commission… Advice to Senior Management: While the overall happiness is pretty good here, I can't imagine anyone wanting to make a… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

The perks are great - they get better if you somehow manage to meet your target

Travel Expert (Former Employee)
    Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at STA Travel as a contractor for less than a year

Pros: If you have a real passion for travel and a flare for sales, you'll thrive at STA Travel and will receive huge discounts on trips… Cons: Most tours included in the perks are much longer than the annual holidays you are allowed. Depending on what branch you work in, targets can… Advice to Senior Management: The staff should be paid more and they will work even harder, if they earned a percentage of the revenue they make (even if… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on STA Travel.

Worked for STA Travel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at STA Travel reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for STA Travel CEO Peter Liney. All reviews posted anonymously by STA Travel employees.