Best Education Non Profit in LA

Current Employee - Department Head in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Department Head in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at STAR Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for STAR and with STAR is a real treat. Their programs help improve the lives of children all over Los Angeles. The office atmosphere is very laid back and everyone is very friendly. All of the employees are helpful and engaging! I have learned tons about managing people and organizing events working for STAR.

Cons

The parking at the offices is very limited and you must own a car to work for them as the schools are all over Los Angeles.

Advice to Management

Please buy more parking space!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

I feel like I am contributing to something bigger than me, and helping to make other people's lives better.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I have been working at STAR Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Every day is a new challenge. I invite the variety problem solving skills necessary to preform my job. I have learned a lot about myself, and what I am capable of because I work with a dedicated and diverse team of people who are willing to hold each other accountable, and tow the line.

Cons

Sometimes life is stressful, but it is always rewarding. However, the incentives for employees to stick around for the long term are not very enticing. There is a high turn over rate among the instructors that work for STAR, but not everyone is committed to education and being an youth mentor.

Advice to Management

Expectations are difficult to fill when you don't have the tools necessary to complete the task.

A classic game of Ball and Shells.

I worked at STAR Education full-time

Pros

People are very cool here. Always smiles on everyone's faces.

Cons

Since when must teachers double up as salesmen? Teachers should be relieved of the stresses of "making a sale" and focus more on the child. Teachers are pressured to sell/fill their seats and are ridiculed if quotas aren't met.

Interesting fact to discover: How many people where hired from Craigslist? And how many of those people were hired based on their qualifications rather than Star's NEED to fill a spot.

More often than not, the teachers are disinterested and unqualified. Do they even have a HS education? Very bad organization within the company.

Much of this company is played like a game of Ball and Shell without the scary alley venue. A lot of things are move around quickly and secretly to meet state requirements for funding, licensing etc..

Required volunteer time? You hire someone and then require them to donate a certain number of hours to volunteer for your company so you can fill your pockets and dilute the little pay you give employees?

Advice to Management

Cash out...the ship is sinking.